The Swing Vote Campaign That You Should Have Seen

13 Responses to “The Swing Vote Campaign That You Should Have Seen”

1. bluelouboyle says:

Funny stuff. Have you seen it, Dave? Any good?
    Trailer makes it look like Tin Cup with Politics. Which could be good, as I love Tin Cup.

2. SpooneyG says:

Ha! Those are great, I especially love the reference to the grade school elections in the first one, that cracks me up.
    I have a chance to go to a Swing Vote screening tonight if I can just get out of work in time. I really want to get to it — I definitely feel like this movie is going to have some elements of Dave and some of Tin Cup.

3. RoyBatty says:

These have been up on YouTube for two months. I think they have been seen, just not by enough to matter.

4. chris says:

It is not good, bluelou. But I didn’t like ‘Tin Cup,” either.

5. Dunderchief says:

I liked Tin Cup, but this thing should be avoided like the plague. It will hurt your brain, it’s so bad.

6. Cadavra says:

Good God, am I the only one who recognizes this picture as a stone rip-off of Garson Kanin’s THE GREAT MAN VOTES, right down to the little girl? When did plagiarism no longer become a crime?

7. scooterzz says:

actually, the post recognized it some time ago…

8. Wrecktum says:

Swing Vote is good. Don’t let the haters hate.

9. scooterzz says:

wrecktum — i didn’t hate it but i sure didn’t like it… i’m guessing it’s going to sink pretty fast…. there’s a whole lotta forced charm going on in this one…..

10. LexG says:

But doesn’t much of middle America love Costner’s charm, forced or not?
    Dude is a WAY bigger draw to this day than he gets H-Town credit for; Most of America still loves this guy and will follow him just about anywhere… though wonk-ish political satire tends to flop even when well-done.

11. bluelouboyle says:

Costner should do another western. Open Range was fantastic. If he can do that on $15 million…

12. scooterzz says:

lex — you’re right about the charm thing…and this movie prob won’t lose any money…. it just isn’t very good…. i guess i just want my time back….
    and — there’s a part of me that thinks audiences don’t want to see an election movie any more than they want to see a ‘sand’ movie…..i’m thinkin’ a different title might’ve been a good move….

13. Joe Leydon says:

Have you noticed the split between “Top Critics” and the entire critical mass over at Rotten Tomatoes? 77 % percent of the top critics give Swing Vote upbeat notices. But when all the critics are counted — only 31 % approve. Does this say something about the divide between established critics (most of them writing for MSM) and lesser-known reviewers (most of them writing for other outlets)?

Julian Schnabel: Years ago, I was down there with my cousin’s wife Corky. She was wild — she wore makeup on her legs, and she had a streak in her hair like Yvonne De Carlo in “The Munsters.” She liked to paint. I had overalls on with just a T-shirt and looked like whatever. We were trying to buy a bunch of supplies with my cousin Jesse’s credit card. They looked at the credit card, and then they looked at us and thought maybe we stole the card, so they called Jesse up. He was a doctor who became the head of trauma at St. Vincent’s. They said, “There’s somebody here with this credit card and we want to know if it belongs to you.”

He said, “Well, does the woman have dyed blonde hair and fake eyelashes and look like she stepped out of the backstage of some kind of silent movie, and is she with some guy who has wild hair and is kind of dressed like a bum?”

“Yeah, that’s them.”

“Yeah, that’s my cousin and my wife. It’s okay, they can charge it on my card.”
~ Julian Schnabel Remembers NYC’s Now-Shuttered Pearl Paint

MB Cool. I was really interested in the aerial photography from Enter the Void and how one could understand that conceptually as a POV, while in fact it’s more of an objective view of the city where the story takes place. So it’s an objective and subjective camera at the same time. I know that you’re interested in Kubrick. We’ve talked about that in the past because it’s something that you and I have in common—

GN You’re obsessed with Kubrick, too.

MB Does he still occupy your mind or was he more of an early influence?

GN He was more of an early influence. Kubrick has been my idol my whole life, my own “god.” I was six or seven years old when I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I never felt such cinematic ecstasy. Maybe that’s what brought me to direct movies, to try to compete with that “wizard of Oz” behind the film. So then, years later, I tried to do something in that direction, like many other directors tried to do their own, you know, homage or remake or parody or whatever of 2001. I don’t know if you ever had that movie in mind for your own projects. But in my case, I don’t think about 2001 anymore now. That film was my first “trip” ever. And then I tried my best to reproduce on screen what some drug trips are like. But it’s very hard. For sure, moving images are a better medium than words, but it’s still very far from the real experience. I read that Kubrick said about Lynch’s Eraserhead, that he wished he had made that movie because it was the film he had seen that came closest to the language of nightmares.

Matthew Barney and Gaspar Noé