The Swing Vote Campaign That You Should Have Seen

13 Responses to “The Swing Vote Campaign That You Should Have Seen”

1. bluelouboyle says:

Funny stuff. Have you seen it, Dave? Any good?
    Trailer makes it look like Tin Cup with Politics. Which could be good, as I love Tin Cup.

2. SpooneyG says:

Ha! Those are great, I especially love the reference to the grade school elections in the first one, that cracks me up.
    I have a chance to go to a Swing Vote screening tonight if I can just get out of work in time. I really want to get to it — I definitely feel like this movie is going to have some elements of Dave and some of Tin Cup.

3. RoyBatty says:

These have been up on YouTube for two months. I think they have been seen, just not by enough to matter.

4. chris says:

It is not good, bluelou. But I didn’t like ‘Tin Cup,” either.

5. Dunderchief says:

I liked Tin Cup, but this thing should be avoided like the plague. It will hurt your brain, it’s so bad.

6. Cadavra says:

Good God, am I the only one who recognizes this picture as a stone rip-off of Garson Kanin’s THE GREAT MAN VOTES, right down to the little girl? When did plagiarism no longer become a crime?

7. scooterzz says:

actually, the post recognized it some time ago…

8. Wrecktum says:

Swing Vote is good. Don’t let the haters hate.

9. scooterzz says:

wrecktum — i didn’t hate it but i sure didn’t like it… i’m guessing it’s going to sink pretty fast…. there’s a whole lotta forced charm going on in this one…..

10. LexG says:

But doesn’t much of middle America love Costner’s charm, forced or not?
    Dude is a WAY bigger draw to this day than he gets H-Town credit for; Most of America still loves this guy and will follow him just about anywhere… though wonk-ish political satire tends to flop even when well-done.

11. bluelouboyle says:

Costner should do another western. Open Range was fantastic. If he can do that on $15 million…

12. scooterzz says:

lex — you’re right about the charm thing…and this movie prob won’t lose any money…. it just isn’t very good…. i guess i just want my time back….
    and — there’s a part of me that thinks audiences don’t want to see an election movie any more than they want to see a ‘sand’ movie…..i’m thinkin’ a different title might’ve been a good move….

13. Joe Leydon says:

Have you noticed the split between “Top Critics” and the entire critical mass over at Rotten Tomatoes? 77 % percent of the top critics give Swing Vote upbeat notices. But when all the critics are counted — only 31 % approve. Does this say something about the divide between established critics (most of them writing for MSM) and lesser-known reviewers (most of them writing for other outlets)?

A Haunted House 2 is not a movie. It is a nervous breakdown. Directed by Michael Tiddes but largely the handiwork of star, producer, and co-writer Marlon Wayans, the film is being billed as yet another Wayans-ized spoof of the horror movie genre, à la the first Haunted House movie and the wildly successful Scary Movie series. (Keenen Ivory Wayans and his brothers were responsible for the first two Scary Movie films; they have since left that franchise, which may explain why a new one was needed.) And there are some familiar digs at recent horror flicks: This time, the creepy doll and the closet from The Conjuring, the family-murdering demon from Sinister, and the dybbuk box from The Possession all make appearances. But this new film is mostly an excuse for star Marlon Wayans to have extended freak-outs in response to the horrors visited upon him—shrieking, screaming, crying, cowering, and occasionally hate-fucking for minutes on end. Yes, you read that last bit right. A Haunted House 2 puts the satyriasis back in satire.”
Ebiri On A Haunted House 2

“I wanted to make you love a murderer. There’s no way of redeeming him. He’s a drunk and a killer. He killed at least seven people (that we know of). But there were reasons he was a bad guy. He was surrounded by evil in those days. A lot of people were killed building modern Florida—modern everywhere. Watson had plenty of opportunities to see how rough those guys were playing and he thought he could do it too. At least he rationalized it that way. He had the devil beaten out of him and became a very dangerous guy. And he couldn’t handle his liquor, which is one of the worst aspects of him. And he went crazy. Understanding how that happened is useful, I think. There’s no reason any one of us couldn’t be Edgar Watson.”
~ Peter Mathiessen On Writing “Killing Mister Watson”