Hot Button – Circles Of Lies

Oy… this is what I get for watching The View.
The ladies spent 5 minutes discussing how the Western Wall prayer that was taken out of the wall and published in Israel was, according to the paper that published the presumably private document, Ma’ariv, pre-approved for publication by Obama even before the note was stuck in the wall. The claim from an unnamed Ma’ariv editor was legitimized by publication in The Jerusalem Post as part of a story about a potential legal probe and boycott of Ma’ariv for publishing the note.
The Wall Street Journal pushed the story further by publishing a series of web attacks on Obama without bothering to do what they do best… report news.
“Maariv’s response: “Obama’s note was published in Maariv and other international publications following his authorization to make the content of the note public. Obama submitted a copy of the note to media outlets when he left his hotel in Jerusalem. Moreover, since he is not Jewish, there is no violation of privacy as there would be for a Jewish person who places a note in the wall.”
Problem is… the story was a lie.

The rest…

13 Responses to “Hot Button – Circles Of Lies”

1. doug r says:

Here’s a phrase you should be familiar by now:
    It’s
    Ok
    If
    You’re
    A
    Republican.

What does that mean, doug?
    It’s ok to lie if you are a Republican? Or are you saying that I am attacking Republicans unfairly?
    I actually don’t agree that Republicans are inherently hateful and more willing to do dirty tricks. Some are. But so are many Democrats, as we learned in the primaries.

3. Cadavra says:

IOKIYAR means the breaking the law, lying, having an adulterous affair, et al, is okay if you’re a Republican, but not if you’re a Democrat.
    Clinton gets a blow job? Impeachment.
    Dan Burton fathers a child out of wedlock? Crickets.
    Eliot Spitzer goes to hookers? Resignation.
    David Vitter goes to hookers? Zzzzzzz.
    And so on, and so on, and so on…

4. LexG says:

Spitzer’s chick was THE MEGAHOTNESS.
    Dude should be a HERO for pulling that. That OWNED.
    Just annoyed Ashley hasn’t accepted my ADD on MySpace.
    And, oh, yeah, tell me why any Californian is excited about voting for President? Obama will take CA in a landslide. It’s like being personally excited about the ten-spot you laid down to see TDK.
    JUST A DROP IN THE BUCKET.

5. RDP says:

So is John Edwards a secret Republican, then?

6. ManWithNoName says:

Uh, Lex, how is Spitzer a hero? He didn’t “pull” anything. If you wanted the MEGAHOTNESS, all you needed was a couple grand in your bank account!

7. IOIOIOI says:

She’s not megahotness. She’s another girl with daddy issues and bad tats. Those tats are literally horrible, but she was a hooker. So it worked for her.

8. sloanish says:

I don’t think Britney understands it, but I wonder if Paris Hilton is concerned that simply being associated with her is now meant to damage you politically. Now that I think about it, she probably doesn’t care either.
    BTW, the Lex show is getting old. There’s no coming back from “the incident.” Last week at Efilm I kept my head down. I was afraid one of the dubbers was going to bug out.

9. LexG says:

There is no “Lex Show,” there is just me posting my thoughts and slowly but surely winning over the hearts and minds. Even former haters are now ACKNOWLEDGING and finally getting it and taking it in stride. I only aim to please.
    GET ONBOARD, SON, there’s plenty of room… I can ASSURE YOU it is not a SHOW when I opine (good word) that PARIS and ASHLEY FUCKING RULE.

10. LexG says:

By the way, what exactly was “the incident”? Me telling LYT that he looks like LOU FROM CADDYSHACK in his WEAK-ASS PLANVIEW JERK-OFF VIDEO?
    Christ, that was like my Z material, and it still made THE FAMER.

11. sloanish says:

Lex, I’m not buying a ticket, but I’m currently on board. Train is too going too fast to get off and I need to see where it wrecks.
    You’re too consistent for it all to be an act so that’s not the issue. Saying that Spitzer owned when in fact he threw his life away for an LA 8 is not correct or sane. If he was having an affair with DiCaprio’s girlfriend it might be a different conversation. But it was just another hooker.

12. sloanish says:

Who’s Ashley?

13. repeatfather says:

Ashley is the prostitute that Spitzer got caught making transactions with. Sorry, Lex, if you lived in New Jersey, you could probably go to any cheap club, get drunk on yaegar and Red Bull and come home with any number of chicks like that.
    With that particular incident, I was more disturbed by Spitzer’s lack of fiscal responsibility than his marital impropriety. He could have just shelled out for a couple Long Island Ice Teas and gotten the same deal.
    Anyway, aren’t people tired yet of this same stupid game of Republicans trying to paint Democratic candidates as elitist and over- privileged? It’s so fucking ridiculous, especially in 04 with Kerry when the accusations were coming from George W., the poster boy for oligarchy.
    I’m also really sick of this Obama-is-arrogant charade. Of course, he’s arrogant! He thinks he should be president! That any presidential candidate is, at least, somewhat arrogant is a given.
    The fact that the press and other critics seem so focused on this one aspect of Obama smacks, to me, of some old-fashioned Jim-Crow-Boy-Don’t-Know-His-Place-Like-Jackie-Robinson Did malarkey.

Julian Schnabel: Years ago, I was down there with my cousin’s wife Corky. She was wild — she wore makeup on her legs, and she had a streak in her hair like Yvonne De Carlo in “The Munsters.” She liked to paint. I had overalls on with just a T-shirt and looked like whatever. We were trying to buy a bunch of supplies with my cousin Jesse’s credit card. They looked at the credit card, and then they looked at us and thought maybe we stole the card, so they called Jesse up. He was a doctor who became the head of trauma at St. Vincent’s. They said, “There’s somebody here with this credit card and we want to know if it belongs to you.”

He said, “Well, does the woman have dyed blonde hair and fake eyelashes and look like she stepped out of the backstage of some kind of silent movie, and is she with some guy who has wild hair and is kind of dressed like a bum?”

“Yeah, that’s them.”

“Yeah, that’s my cousin and my wife. It’s okay, they can charge it on my card.”
~ Julian Schnabel Remembers NYC’s Now-Shuttered Pearl Paint

MB Cool. I was really interested in the aerial photography from Enter the Void and how one could understand that conceptually as a POV, while in fact it’s more of an objective view of the city where the story takes place. So it’s an objective and subjective camera at the same time. I know that you’re interested in Kubrick. We’ve talked about that in the past because it’s something that you and I have in common—

GN You’re obsessed with Kubrick, too.

MB Does he still occupy your mind or was he more of an early influence?

GN He was more of an early influence. Kubrick has been my idol my whole life, my own “god.” I was six or seven years old when I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I never felt such cinematic ecstasy. Maybe that’s what brought me to direct movies, to try to compete with that “wizard of Oz” behind the film. So then, years later, I tried to do something in that direction, like many other directors tried to do their own, you know, homage or remake or parody or whatever of 2001. I don’t know if you ever had that movie in mind for your own projects. But in my case, I don’t think about 2001 anymore now. That film was my first “trip” ever. And then I tried my best to reproduce on screen what some drug trips are like. But it’s very hard. For sure, moving images are a better medium than words, but it’s still very far from the real experience. I read that Kubrick said about Lynch’s Eraserhead, that he wished he had made that movie because it was the film he had seen that came closest to the language of nightmares.

Matthew Barney and Gaspar Noé