Hot Button – The Indie Thing

There have been very good

12 Responses to “Hot Button – The Indie Thing”

1. The Pope says:

Aware that what I am about to type may read as utterly sycophantic, but at times like these I am reminded as to why I visit this website (and occasionally throw in some comments).
    Other sights mostly present and invite polemics and although this one presents those as well, right now, David you have something that is more considered.
    I agree: this really can’t be the end of the indies. Haven’t they been around since the beginning of cinema, via Griffith and UA and, although they faded considerably in the 30s, after the war, the Anti-trust laws ensured that they rose again. The studio breakdown in the sixties paved the way for the indies and then, just when the blockbuster seemed to have put them in a pool and drowned them in concrete, along came Jarmusch and sex, lies.
    But seriously, the argument is a bit tiresome and silly at this stage. Ever since someone I think it was Robert Evans who asked independent of what… people have been banging the drum. No one is independent. The money comes from somewhere. And eventually it can be traced back to or through Rupert… or Reliance… or Riyadh…
    I think it comes down to whether a filmmaker has secured a space for themselves in which they can be CREATIVELY independent… i.e., where their film is more a product of their collaboration with fellow artists … or whether the film is a result of meddling.

2. T. Holly says:

The studios should have been purchasing the exhibitors all along. Now it’s distributors stangleholding the film business instead of the studios working with independents to mutually seed theatres. There are so many ways to put bundle butts in seats and none of them are available except the worldwide tentpole strategy.

3. mutinyco says:

I dunno about you, but I’m in the mood for some soft Corinthian Leather! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIL3fbGbU2o

4. T. Holly says:

Make that “bundle butts” not “put bundle butts” — and tentpoles include Mamma Mia! which will perform somewhere between Pretty Woman and Titanic.

5. Chucky in Jersey says:

It’s not being promoted as a tentpole. A movie that aims older and/or upmarket can hardly be considered a tentpole.
    T.H is on to something about working “to mutually seed theaters”. The Bollywood circuit is an excellent example. Other ethnic titles like “Under the Same Moon” prove this true.

6. Roman says:

Does this mean that ABBA is now bigger than the Beatles (Across the Universe)?
    And no, I’m only being quarter serious.

7. T. Holly says:

Sorry Dave, but your people need to be schooled.
    No one mentioned US. v. Paramount 1948. It’s ok to own a tv network but not a movie theatre. That rule outlived its usefullness. Exhibitors… I got no words for you.

8. Direwolf says:

From my Wall Street perspective this is an exceptionally good piece. Well done, DP.
    As you were discussing the number of releases and screens, one thing I thought you might mention is the massive number of screens the weekly blockbusters occupy. That is screens not theatres.
    Do you think that opening a preordained blockbuster on several screens per multiplex has contributed to tough times for indies as those screens are lost as outlets?

9. doug r says:

I was listening to Adam Carolla talk about The Hammer. They spent close to a million bucks, including IIRC about $15,000 a print for about 35 prints. They ended up grossing about $445,000. They should break even on DVD-but why is it so hard for a picture that is aparently “surprisingly good” (I wouldn’t know, because I never got a chance to see it) to get distributed.

10. Roman, I’d suggest that jukebox musicals are bigger than phychadelic throwbacks (successful or not)

11. and by “successful” i mean “good quality” and “well made”.

12. Chucky in Jersey says:

The 1948 consent decree was relaxed by the Reagan government in the 80’s. As a result Columbia Pictures was able to buy into Loews Theatres. More recently National Amusements used its Viacom division to buy Paramount.
    As to blockbusters freezing out indies in a megaplex? In a recession most megaplexes (16+ screens) are gonna stay with mainstream fare, period.

~ Robbie Collin