The Nikki Finke Effect

I guess we’ve now gotten to the point where Nikki Finke is going to desperately try to spin her gossip blog into a new source. As usual, her spin is self-referential and utterly self-serving. And as it is so often… a load of crap.
At least, partially.
And this is how the truly great liars make their lies seem truthful.
Today, Nikki explains

8 Responses to “The Nikki Finke Effect”

1. doug r says:

So…how do you REALLY feel about Nikki?

Ay, that’s the rub.
    No matter how many facts you throw, all anyone ever notices is the mud.

3. Jeffrey Boam's Doctor says:

Who really cares about this petty shit? Finke is a loathsome cunt with a keyboard. We get it. She gets all the heat. You are jealous of it but feel warm by basking in moral high ground.
    DP when I read these Finke slapdowns I imagine a high pitched whine escaping your pursed lips. Be happy that you’re liked and respected in certain circles. If you want to get heat – be Davez Hilton and draw fucking white scribbles on photos of the new hollywood babylonians.

4. TVJunkie says:

::applauds::
    Well said.

5. ThatAutGuy says:

I’ve been reading this blog (and The Hot Button, and everything on the old TNT website…) for years and finally decided to sign up. My main reason: I actually went to Nikki Finke’s blog for the first time two days ago. Long story short, I thought I stumbled onto something straight from “The Onion” at first.
    If I can figure out how truly ridiculous her page is at first glance (and I am far from an industry expert, “casual observer” would describe it best) it puzzles me how anyone could consider anything on Nikki’s page even remotely close to journalism.
    What I’m left wondering: does she actually truly believe that what she does on her blog has any journalistic value? I’d rather go with the idea that she’s trying to play a giant practical joke on everyone she suckers into believing she’s providing “news”…

JBD… assign whatever crap you like to me.
    I feel compelled to speak the truth. People know it. People look past it.
    Like you say, if I wanted the kind of heat Nikki gets, I would do some of that dumb shit. Any of the people she mentioned and many others could.
    I know you don’t care about the degrading of this profession… but I do.
    Might I suggest that all you listen for is high pitched whines… prefer them… are amused by them…
    Someone has to say these things. I’ve been doing it for a long time… what respect I have doesn’t come from hiding from real issues… and the destruction of journalistic standards is dead on real. Sorry… but it is.
    If you want to see an important discussion of this, get your hands on Costas Now from HBO, which discusses this all, not just about the web, but about all areas of media… in that case, sports media. Everything said there is true of movie journalism… only there is no Costas.

7. T. Holly says:

A sting operation, no Dave? Everyone appreciates your reportage, keep up the good fight, so they and we keep on our toes.

8. tfresca says:

I read that blog post that contained the CAA agent’s rant. All I have to add is that like another poster in that comment thread I loved Stardust. Saw it on video and thought it was one of the top movies I saw last year. I’m noticing an increasing trend that these companies couldn’t cut a trailer to save their lives.. Uhh how about telling us what the movie is about and mentioning the elements. I had no desire to see Speedracer but I dare you tell me what it was about from the trailer. Stardust was the same although it was poor casting not to have someone more recognizable as the male lead.

Glamourboy on: BYO Keanu

Glamourboy on: BYO Keanu

Pete B. on: BYO Keanu

Glamourboy on: BYO Keanu

Pete B. on: BYO Keanu

Amblinman on: BYO Keanu

Glamourboy on: BYO Keanu

leahnz on: BYO Keanu

movieman on: BYO Keanu

palmtree on: BYO Keanu

“With any character, the way I think about it is, you have the role on the page, you have the vision of the director and you have your life experience… I thought it was one of the foundations of the role for John Wick. I love his grief. For the character and in life, it’s about the love of the person you’re grieving for, and any time you can keep company with that fire, it is warm. I absolutely relate to that, and I don’t think you ever work through it. Grief and loss, those are things that don’t ever go away. They stay with you.”
~ Keanu Reeves

“I was checking through stuff the other day for technical reasons. I came across The Duellists on Netflix and I was absolutely stunned to see that it was exquisitely graded. So, while I rarely look up my old stuff, I stopped to give it ten minutes. Bugger me, I was there for two hours. I was really fucking pleased with what it was and how the engine still worked within the equation and that engine was the insanity and stupidity of war. War between two men, in that case, who fight on thought they both eventually can’t remember the reason why. It was great, yeah. The great thing about these platforms now is that, one way or another, they’ll seek out and then put out the best possible form and the long form. Frequently, films get cut down because of that curse in which the studio felt or feels that they have to preview. And there’s nothing worse than a preview to diminish the original intent.Oh, yeah, how about every fucking time? And I’ve stewed about films later even more because when you tell the same joke 20 times the joke’s no longer funny. When you tell a bad joke once or twice? It’s fine. But come on, now. Here’s the key on the way I feel when I approach the movie: I try to keep myself as withdrawn from the project as possible once I’ve filmed it. And – this is all key on this – then getting a really excellent editor so I never have to sit in on editing. What happens if you sit in is you become stale and every passage or joke, metaphorically speaking, gets more and more tired. You start cutting it all back because of fatigue. So what you have to do is keep your distance and therefore, in a funny kind of way, you, as the director, should be the preview and that’s it.”
~ Sir Ridley Scott