Capturing A Critic In Your DVR

It seems kind of obvious, but I was immediately rocked by this New York Times story about Tivo making a deal which will allow users to sign up to have the picks of a Chicago Trib TV critic automatically downloaded to their Tivos.
What struck me immediately was… how much would someone pay to have Roger Ebert’s 15 or 20 or 30 movie picks a month automatically downloaded to their DVR? But really, regardless of payment, what a great way, using delivery services you already pay for, to get a direct experience based on the taste of tastemakers in whom you really believe!
Sign me up for Scorsese’s Top 10 movies from across the DirecTV line-up next month!
This idea matches up magnificently with a project like Cinetic’s problematic but interesting effort to find some kind of outlet for a couple hundred indies and foreign language films a year – ridiculously overstated in the story as the 3600 submissions to Sundance each year

7 Responses to “Capturing A Critic In Your DVR”

1. IOIOIOI says:

These picks are mine and all times are CENTRAL!
    Coming up at 4:10 am on THRILLER MAX is INTERNAL AFFAIRS! Spend the morning enjoying an over the top villian role by Richard Gere and Laurie Metcalf playing a lesbian cop for some reason. Good times all-around.
    Afterwards at 6:30 am on RETROPLEX… the MANHATTAN PROJECT! Get ready for this weekends SEX AND THE CITY MOVIE by watching one of Cynthia Nixon’s (as well as Doctor James Wilson himself… Robert Sean Leonard billed as “Robert Leonard”) as the girlfriend of Christopher Collet’s character. Who just happens to build one of the strongest ever nuclear bombs via high-yeld weapons grade plutonium. Only available at the secret lab in which his mom’s boyfriend — John Lithgow — happens to work. Richard Jenkins and John Mahoney co-star.
    Follow that up with SOAPDISH at 8:30 on HBO. It’s a whacky movie about Soap Operas that Momma Walker is hysterical in.
    Take a restroom break and return to your couch at 10:40am to watch an overlooked but awesome stop-motion animation film… James and the Giant Peach on STARZ KIDS. A film with more heart than the close to entire Dreamworks Animated slate… combined.
    Go get yourself some lunch and return at 1:05 pm to watch a truly great film… HOFFA on ENCORE MYSTERY. If you have never seen HOFFA. Make sure you do. It is worth your time.
    After you realize that you are spending all day on the couch doing nothing. You can flip over to THE KARATE KID, PART TWO on AMC! There may be commercials, but there may also be Daniel LaRusso chopping down blocks of ice with his bare-hands depending if it was cut for time or not.
    Wrap up your diner, return to the couch, and watch Running Scared on… hold on a minute. This is not the awesomeness that is the 1986 RUNNING SCARED. This is another CAMERON BRIGHT film. So… scratch that… and watch IDIOCRACY on HBO COMEDY at 7pm. Enjoy Not Sure and his hijinks in a future world that has a drink… with electrolytes.
    Give yourself some time to check email, return text messages, and make phone calls, then turn to FOX MOVIE CHANNEL at 9 pm to watch the DIRECTOR’S CUT of the ABYSS.
    Finally… at 12:40… finish your day by watching Lea Thompson and Victoria Jackson in a film that would never ever get green-lit today… CASUAL SEX! Also enjoy a rather decent performance from one Andrew Clay.
    That has been your recommendations for Wednesday, May 28th, 2008. Here’s the recommendation for Thursday: LOST! Good day.

2. The Pope says:

It’s a great idea. And perhaps one that will be able to maintain a position for film critics. And, what with technology the way it is going, instead of just having a recommended list, why not provide a review of the film after the film? You know, like Lorenzo Semple Jr. and Marcia Nasatir on The Reel Geezers. It would be better to have someone on screen discussing the film rather than, in this age, having to actually read it. I remember the BBC did a great season in the 1980s when the great Derek Malcolm (formerly of The Guardian), would introduce a double bill… succinct, informative and most likely provocative.

3. I am personally a fan of being introduced to a movie. Whether it be by the director/star or a critic. It adds a nice touch.
    …moving on…

4. Exigence says:

I had a film studies prof who every monday morning would take out that week’s tv guide and provide recommendations for movies – he’d normally give about 15 a week, and I really did see some films that I never would have watched otherwise. I always appreciated that he did that.

5. ThatAutGuy says:

I would love something like this – I believe the function of a guide will soon be way more important than classic networks/stations. It’s all about what you watch, not which station you watch it on anymore.
    And wouldn’t it be funny to see critics play such a key role in the future of TV – despite all the talk about how they don’t influence movie grosses anymore, etc… We’d end up with stations desperately trying to fight for critics, just to get more viewers for their product.

6. Bennett says:

In a Netflix/DVR age I seem to Not have a problem of WHAT to watch, but trying to find the TIME to watch everything I have in my DVR or my Netfix Que…I often hear about a movie(or a television show) and just slap it in my que…I guess that is why I have a list of over 200 movies..I used to get annoyed when I would go through the effort to rent a movie to only find out it was terrible, but with netflix…I have definately chilled out.

7. Hallick says:

“Have you seen the film that launched David Gordon Green and the KY film movement

Glamourboy on: BYO Keanu

Glamourboy on: BYO Keanu

Pete B. on: BYO Keanu

Glamourboy on: BYO Keanu

Pete B. on: BYO Keanu

Amblinman on: BYO Keanu

Glamourboy on: BYO Keanu

leahnz on: BYO Keanu

movieman on: BYO Keanu

palmtree on: BYO Keanu

“With any character, the way I think about it is, you have the role on the page, you have the vision of the director and you have your life experience… I thought it was one of the foundations of the role for John Wick. I love his grief. For the character and in life, it’s about the love of the person you’re grieving for, and any time you can keep company with that fire, it is warm. I absolutely relate to that, and I don’t think you ever work through it. Grief and loss, those are things that don’t ever go away. They stay with you.”
~ Keanu Reeves

“I was checking through stuff the other day for technical reasons. I came across The Duellists on Netflix and I was absolutely stunned to see that it was exquisitely graded. So, while I rarely look up my old stuff, I stopped to give it ten minutes. Bugger me, I was there for two hours. I was really fucking pleased with what it was and how the engine still worked within the equation and that engine was the insanity and stupidity of war. War between two men, in that case, who fight on thought they both eventually can’t remember the reason why. It was great, yeah. The great thing about these platforms now is that, one way or another, they’ll seek out and then put out the best possible form and the long form. Frequently, films get cut down because of that curse in which the studio felt or feels that they have to preview. And there’s nothing worse than a preview to diminish the original intent.Oh, yeah, how about every fucking time? And I’ve stewed about films later even more because when you tell the same joke 20 times the joke’s no longer funny. When you tell a bad joke once or twice? It’s fine. But come on, now. Here’s the key on the way I feel when I approach the movie: I try to keep myself as withdrawn from the project as possible once I’ve filmed it. And – this is all key on this – then getting a really excellent editor so I never have to sit in on editing. What happens if you sit in is you become stale and every passage or joke, metaphorically speaking, gets more and more tired. You start cutting it all back because of fatigue. So what you have to do is keep your distance and therefore, in a funny kind of way, you, as the director, should be the preview and that’s it.”
~ Sir Ridley Scott