SNL Oscar Parody

SNL did “I Drink Your Milkshake!” as a Food Network show, also parodying No Country and Juno in the process.
milkshakesnl.jpg
For some reason, I can’t get YouTube this morning… so here is another site with the piece.
What struck me, however, was that the Oscar satire, the night before, was in the third half hour of the show… the half hour of the dregs. How little interest is there in The Oscars this year?

9 Responses to “SNL Oscar Parody”

1. Noah says:

Well, the skit is based around a character from a movie that has only made thirty or so million dollars. So, I guess the SNL producers didn’t think there were enough people watching that would get the joke. If only something like 4 million people saw There Will Be Blood and 7 or 8 million watch SNL, they knew upfront they’d be alienating half the audience.
    Very funny skit, though. Bill Hader’s Plainview is unbelievable.

2. Noel Murray says:

There was a sketch in the first half-hour that referenced all 5 Best Picture nominees.

3. Krazy Eyes says:

I was impressed that for an SNL skit he didn’t repeat the same set-up with another 4-5 customers. I also agree that Hader did a fantastic job.

4. Geoff says:

Not a bad skit, no real point to bring Anton Chigurgh into it – in fact, I would think he would be enough for a skit all his own.
    There Will Be Blood is probably heading towards $45 or $50 million and I have to say it has already overperformed. I saw the movie, last week, it is about as uncommercial a film as you are likely to see.
    Just bizarre, I kind of liked it. The comparisons between Day-Lewis’ performance and Pacino in Scarface are pretty apt – go-for-broke role that just dominates; verging on self-parody, you don’t completely buy it, and yet it works.

5. lazarus says:

The difference is that Pacino wasn’t believable in any way whatsoever.
    I feel sorry for people who have nothing better to do than watch the godawful Saturday Night Live. What makes you think that after 15 years of mediocrity it’s suddenly going to become good again? 10 minutes of good humor aren’t worth the 90 minute investment. The few skits that do have a funny idea are usually drawn out to the point where they aren’t anymore (as Krazy Eyes alluded to).
    I’m also surprised they missed the opportunity to work the bowling pin/alley in. Isn’t that the whole punchline to the thing? It would have made much more sense than dragging Chigurh and the cattle gun into it.

6. Noah says:

Laz, I watch (usually by TiVo) SNL every week and I’ve watched it since I was a kid. They’ve said the show has been dead for years and I remember when people were railing on it sixteen years ago for being unfunny, those were the seasons of Mike Myers, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Chris Rock, David Spade, Rob Schneider, and Tim Meadows. Not too shabby if you ask me.
    Seven years later it was dead again when it was populated by Molly Shannon, Will Ferrell, Cheri Oteri, Ana Gasteyer, Darrell Hammond and was written by head writer Tina Fey. SNL is always relevant because it is where the future of comedy is brought to the limelight. It’s also still remarkably funny sometimes.
    Sure, there are a lot of sketches that fall flat, but there are also some that kill. The Digital Shorts have injected new life into the show and they have a lot of talented folks there, including Seth Myers, Andy Samberg, Amy Poehler and Kristen Wiig.
    So, if you don’t like SNL, that’s fine. But don’t “feel sorry” for me for thinking it’s not a bad way to spend fifty-five minutes (if you fast forward through the music and commercials).

7. Eric says:

That’s it? Somebody owes me four minutes of my life back.
    Hader had the voice right– he probably brought it to the writers but they had no idea what to do with it.

8. grandcosmo says:

I agree that Hader did a very good impression but the skit was beyond lame.
    It was on the level of “Epic Movie” and those films where they think a film reference in and of itself is funny.

~ Quentin Tarantino