You Know…

I didn’t think I was actually going to get angrier after watching Entertainment Tonight promote their ongoing rape of Heath Ledger’s dead body.
But I did.
Because they were doing something even worse that I saw coming.
They are trying to position this shite as not only a healthy choice on their part, but one that can help others.
First, they blame the video being shown on Australia

7 Responses to “You Know…”

1. LexG says:

Maybe Dr. Drew IS a sincere guy, but in general I have a hard time giving him the benefit of the doubt about his intentions.
    Ever aince he turned up on season one of the US version of BIG BROTHER as some sort of behavioral expert but really de facto co-host of sorts, not to mention his role in NEW YORK MINUTE, I can’t see this guy as much more than a bullshit TV “personality” looking for more camera time.
    His intentions may be noble, who knows. But his choices of venue are SERIOUSLY suspect? BIG BROTHER? Doling out predictable, cookie-cutter advice alongside Adam Carolla? Fronting a VH1 rehab show that professes sincerity about addiction but still makes time for THE LEAD SINGER OF CRAZY TOWN indulging in Surreal Life antics?
    Just seems like thorough hack.

2. Tofu says:

Providing medical diagnosis through videotape has been, and will continue to be, utterly asinine. Anyone remember Bill Frist & Terri Schiavo? When he denied she was in a vegetative state by watching videos and thinking she was responding?
    Back to square one again.

3. Eric says:

I’m going to stick up here for Dr. Drew as a guy who sincerely wants to help. He was doing Loveline for free as a public service for a decade before Adam Carolla arrived and turned it into a profitable show.
    It seems like he enjoys showing up on television, but mostly because he’s a normal guy who’s just tickled that he has the opportunity. He’s a decent human being, not somebody who’s in it for the celebrity.

4. anghus says:

Dr. Drew is actually a very good guy with very noble intentions. I agree with Eric, he doesn’t mind the spotlight, but there’s always an urge on his part to not sell a lie of easy fixes or quick judgment.
    As for the tabloidization of the media, you are where i was a year ago. The only thing you can do is turn it off. It will never get better. It continues to seep into the so called ‘legitimate news’.
    Bill Hicks was right. In 20 years it will be pictures of women spread eagle with a line that reads “Buy Coke”. And people will buy it.
    At some point, you have to either accept that you’re the kind of person that
    a) accepts things for the way they are and try to learn and live with it
    or
    b) accept that things desperately need changing and do everything in your power to do so.
    Entertainment Journalism has never been anything award worthy, but nowadays it’s just videocameras, vaginas, and voueyerism. That’s never going to change.

5. LYT says:

Dr. Drew is a huge hypocrite in many ways. His entire claim to fame is coming on a radio show created by his friend Jim “The Poorman” Trenton (who also introduced Pinsky to the woman who’d become his wife), claiming he’d stand by him, then throwing him to the wolves when Trenton pissed off management.
    Loveline was a top-rated show long before Carolla.
    I don’t put anything past the Doc. He loves that media spotlight.

6. leahnz says:

i don’t know who dr. drew is, but in regards to the buzzards feeding on poor heath’s corpse, i think whatever integrity the ‘entertainment media’ had is rapidly evaporating; i was thinking back to when my beloved river died in 1993(?, wow 15 years ago if i’m right about the year), it was big news but handled fairly respectfully; it’s a completely different world now, imagine the feeding frenzy if river had died the way he did today, someone would have likely filmed him convulsing to death on the footpath with their mobile phone and it would all over the internet and ‘entertainment’ shows in an hour. maybe it’s just me, but the world is going to hell in a handbasket

~ Robbie Collin