Hannah Montana Stampede

I normally consider Fandango’s releases about their ticket sales nothing but self-hype that should be allowed to linger, unpublished, in the inbox. Like 98% of internet stat-making, they are invariably irrelevant. But the details on the Hannah Montana concert movie are interesting.
From their press release:
If you are reporting on the HANNAH MONTANA concert movie phenomenon, here are some facts that might interest you:
*HANNAH currently accounts for 91% of all ticket sales on Fandango, the nation

18 Responses to “Hannah Montana Stampede”

1. Wrecktum says:

When Hannah hits $25 million this weekend on just 650 theaters, what are people going to say?

2. brack says:

I know where I’ll be this weekend. “To Catch A Predator,” where I come!

4. Aris P says:

Just like Harry Potter, this sounds like a cult to me.

5. Wrecktum says:

“The real question is whether Disney will be allowed to set up concert-esque vending at theaters… that’s where a lot of the money is in concert tours.”
    Disney did try something like that with their IMAX releases like Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. Don’t think it was entirely successful.

6. Cadavra says:

Anybody wanna bet that come next Friday, there’ll be huge ads screaming “HELD OVER BY POPULAR DEMAND!”?

7. Direwolf says:

1000 sold out shows ought to be about 200,000 tickets at $6 per ticket that is $1.2 million. Not sure how high it can go on 630 theatres. Borat did $26 million in 837 periods with what will certainly be a higher average ticket price. $20 million I guess is possible. Is this realistic?

8. Tofu says:

Aris, as a Potter fan, I have to ask… Do you consider Star Wars a cult?
    Also; One of us. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

9. LYT says:

Both Star Wars and Potter have serious cults, but there are plenty of casual fans too.
    I don’t know any casual Hannah Montana fans. But then again, I only know one Hannah Montana fan, period.

10. Aris P says:

I don’t know dude, Star Wars has become a cult now, yes, mostly by people my age (mid-30s). I know that when I and my friends were kids, being prime age for the star wars trilogy, we didn’t camp out on the streets to catch the first showing, like kids on the floor of Borders Books stores at midnight, to BUY A BOOK. I’m all for kids reading, but isn’t it odd that a 7 year old MUST MUST MUST have that book at midnight? Something creepy about that; feels like more than being a “fan” to me. I guess part of this is the age of cultural hysteria we live in.
    And if ONE OF US is some cultist recruiting chant, i say to you, good sir, NEVER.

11. scooterzz says:

aris – ‘star wars’ had a cult following in 1977… granted, a smaller cult following but only because of lack of internet access and conventions….believe me, those of us who stood in line on hollywood blvd. for the first show knew we were part of a movement…..and if, as you claim, the the cult is now mostly people your age, it’s only because many of the people my age are dead……
    and re: potter — the reason those kids ‘must, must, must’ have that book at midnight is because the stores have made it an event…it’s a great, big party for kids….nothing creepy about it…the book is just the ‘mc guffin’ to get kids to respond to kid lit…..

12. Aris P says:

I read books that I discovered myself and liked, when i was a kid. stephen king, terry brooks, whoever. by myself. sorry but “kid-lit” rubs me the wrong way.
    Also, why are many people your age dead?? That seriously sucks.

13. I would believe a Hannah Montana: The Movie type would make big bucks, but a concert film? The 3D gimmick though could help. Still, sitting in a theatre ain’t the same as going to an actual concert so will little girls even wanna go?
    I guess I won’t be surprised either way, really.

14. scooterzz says:

Also, why are many people your age dead?? That seriously sucks.
    yes, it does…..and it will happen eventually to you too……
    you realy are a dick….

15. doug r says:

Once again, no Canadian theat(re) chain has a digital projector west of Ontario, so HM fans around here are going to be driving at least 2 hours south of the border.
    Makes my decision easier. Since there was no pressure to go to HM, I took my 13 year old to U23D instead. She loved it.

16. gradystiles says:

Direwolf: Tickets aren’t $6. They’re generally $15 since it’s considered a “special event” showing in 3-D, etc. The El Capitan and The Bridge are selling tickets for even more, although I’ve heard some theaters in the midwest are lower.
    But, the point is, the “average” ticket price for this movie will be well north of $10. I think it gets $20 million easily.

17. Aris P says:

Scooterz, I really didn’t want to offend you. I am a dick, this is true, but I wasn’t trying to be one here.

18. Kim Voynar says:

Kamikaze,
    As the mom of one tween girl who has been counting down the days until she goes to see Hannah Montana at the theater tomorrow night, I’d say the answer is “yes, absolutely.” Among my girlie and her friends, while they would have rather seen the live show, they also get why we wouldn’t shell out several hundred dollars per scalped ticket to go to it, and as far as they’re concerned, seeing it in a theater is way better than not seeing it at all.
    We bought tix for this back in December, as soon as they went on sale, and many of the shows here are sold out now. BTW, here at least, they went for normal ticket prices — $10 for adults, $7 for kids.

Box Office