New Idea

This came via e-mail with a 5mg attachment that I can’t recreate on the blog. But interesting…
November 20, 2007
Dear Broadcast Film Critic member,
We are pleased to send you a downloadable MP3 of

12 Responses to “New Idea”

1. TMJ says:

What’s interesting, DP? It seems like a smart way to reach savvy BFCA voters.

2. Alan Cerny says:

I’m confused about how this song is eligible since it was on two different CDs before the film was released. Anyone want to enlighten me?

3. Alan Cerny says:

Can someone enlighten me on how “Falling Slowly” is eligible when it was on two different CDs before the film came out? I have no problems with it being nominated, but I thought the eligibility rules for songs were strict in that they had to be created specifically for the film.

4. Moviezzz says:

I was about to say the same thing. While I love the song and the movie, it was a recorded and released on an album (THE SWELL SEASON) before the film.
    Since Oscar music has some of the strictest criteria, I wouldn’t think it would be eligible.

5. montrealkid says:

What’s interesting is that in this paranoid age of piracy a major studio would choose to EMAIL an mp3 file to critics (that of course, could be forwarded to anyone they so choose).

6. aframe says:

“Falling Slowly” was written and recorded for the film in early ’96, and then the versions on THE SWELL SEASON album and the one Hansard recorded with The Frames were done. There was some talk about this during the summer as Searchlight was working with the Academy to determine which tunes were eligible, and the song passed the test since the song was written and recorded especially for the film, which just happened to be released after the other version–remember there was some doubt as to what type of release the film would receive, if any, so they hedged their bets and later included it in other works.

7. aframe says:

oops, I meant early ’06.

8. aframe says:

oops, I meant early ’06. In any event, there was an article I remember reading that cleared up the whole timeline.

9. Kambei says:

It was written & recorded specifically for the film, along with several other tracks. I would also love to see “If you want me” or “when your mind’s made up” make the final cut. For once, the song category should be pretty crowded and competitive this year.

10. aframe says:

Actually, the only two tunes Searchlight is pushing per what’s printed on the awards screener are “Falling Slowly” and “If You Want Me”–I’m assuming they didn’t want to split the vote too much.

11. crazycris says:

They must definitely not be worried about piracy… because Falling Slowly is available for download on the movie’s website!
    Which I was more than delighted to discover after coming home from seeing the film last night! What a delightful story and beautiful music! More than worthy of the oscar for this song!!!
    Movie music aside, discovering The Frames is an added bonus! I just picked up their two most recent albums from the library…

12. Yeah, the songs were written for the film, but because it took so long to get a release they received an album release beforehand.
    Which is sort of the opposite of “Come What May”, which was written for Romeo + Juliet but never recorded and then it was for Moulin Rouge! and was deemed ineligible.

“The purpose of film isn’t to present the kindness of the world.”
~ Isabelle Huppert

The Promised Land steers into the fact that the United States can mean whatever people want it to mean. You may not be able to be Elvis, but you can sure as shit impersonate him for a living. America, like its current President (at least as of this article’s publication), is so dangerous precisely because it’s a blank canvas on which anyone can project their dreams. Whatever it is that you see for yourself, there’s someone you can pay for the pleasure of believing that it’s possible. In his view, the pursuit of happiness is the ultimate con, a delusion that prevents us from seeing our circumstances for what they are.

“Forget the Matrix, it’s the invention of happiness that blinded us to the truth. The rich got richer and the poor help them do it. Jarecki doesn’t argue that the American Dream is dead; he argues that it was never alive in the first place — that we were all lobsters in a pot full of water that was boiling too slowly for any of us to notice. And now it’s time for dinner. Donald J. Trump is the President of the United States. Elvis has left the building.”
~ David Ehrlich