BYOB – Another Day, Another Airport…

You know, much as I love my own voice. if I were you, I would invest some time listening to the WGA strike discussion… and Holbrook… and Adams… and another couple LWDs that are coming up this week. But that’s just me. (Sadly, you’ll get stuck listening to my voice again in the process, but hopefully I get out of the way of some very smart, very interesting people who have something of real value to say.)
My internet access will be spotty until the weekend. I’m sure I’ll turn up a few times. But as ever, you have the floor while I am gone. Play nice and enjoy the run for the gobble gobble… even you foreigners!

30 Responses to “BYOB – Another Day, Another Airport…”

1. adorian says:

Rented the DVDs of “Rescue Dawn” and “Hairspray.” Christian Bale deserves an Oscar nomination for this, as he did for “The Machinist.” (Why does he put himself through all this physical torture for his art? Were I he, I would insist on a mushy love story set in Paris for my next film, just to revel in the comfort and luxury of it all.)
    Travolta is really good as Edna and I wouldn’t be surprised if he got some nominations for this. Certainly he can get a Golden Globe nomination. The question is: lead or supporting?

2. RESCUE DAWN is like….the quietest movie made since the silent era. Everyone whispers!

3. Noah says:

Completely agree with you on Christian Bale in Rescue Dawn, Adorian. I even wrote about it in my new column; it’s the performance of the year so far.
    So what is everyone most thankful for this year at the movies?

4. LexG says:

Gellar in SOUTHLAND TALES = B O N E R
    Best performance EVER.

5. jeffmcm says:

That’s a tough act to follow, but I’m thankful primarily for the Coens, Carice Van Houten, Brad Bird, Bong Joon-Ho, George Clooney, Werner Herzog, Cate Blanchett, and Quentin Tarantino.

6. LexG says:

I’m thankful for the man o’ the year:
    JOSH MOTHERFUCKIN’ BROLIN.

7. Crow T Robot says:

Bale looked on his own creatively in Rescue Dawn. Like he wasn’t getting adequate direction from wacky Werner Herzog and just winged it, filling in the blanks himself. I think that’s why he seemed so “big” in it… there was zero synthesis between story and performance. And that’s something a survival film of this kind really needs to work (Zemeckis did it so perfectly with Tom Hanks in Cast Away).

8. sloanish says:

I continue to love Bale, but when I watch him I see him go to the same old bag of tricks over and over. I am not denying his performances aren’t good, simply that I am seeing some repeat stuff, kinda like when composers rip themselves off.

9. Aris P says:

I’m thankful for being able to travel to see my parents, I’m thankful for my health and I’m thankful that my bonsai tree is still alive. I’m not thankful that there’s freezing rain where I’m headed to tomorrow.

10. I sorta agree, sloanish. Bale and Davies were doing BALE and DAVIES(!!) full-on in RESCUE DAWN and meanwhile Steve Zahn who really turns in an amazing performance gets out starred by Batman and Manson. There is no justice…

11. ployp says:

I’m thankful for Ratatouille and Stardust.

12. waterbucket says:

I’m thankful for MovieCityNews and David Poland.
    Although, D-Po, you need to invest in a voice coach. You look like a bear but sound like a pink flower.

13. If it were a woman continuously doing what Bale does (dramatic weight and physical changes) they’d win Oscars yet somehow Bale doesn’t even have a nomination to his credit.
    I, for one, think his American Psycho performance is the best male performance of this decade.

14. Blackcloud says:

I’m thankful you can still see movies in theaters. DVD hasn’t killed ’em yet! May it never!
    I’m less thankful for “Beowulf.” The 3D’s nice, but that’s about the only reason I’d recommend the movie. The story and characters did not do anything for me. Beowulf’s pretty dull. Angelina Jolie wasn’t enticing or alluring or anything. Last thing I expected was that.

15. Aris P says:

I am extremely thankful for this. Enjoy.

16. KC-
    Because Bale choose half baked movies to star in and torture himself. I mean, don’t get me wrong….I love everything the guy is in, but he does Oscar worthy performances in B movies. Mary Harron ruined “American Psycho,” “The Machinist” was too in love with itself (or not at all….) and “Rescue Dawn” well…I dunno. Just didn’t really get it I guess.

17. Geoff says:

Mary Harron didn’t ruin American Psycho. As a fan of the book I must admit there are many different ways to approach it, but she embraced the dark, satirical comedy that it is. It tells the story it wants to tell perfectly. It’s a damn hard book to adapt. And the card scene is PERFECTION. Not to mention Christian Bale.

18. luxofthedraw says:

American Psycho is one of those films where you need to pretend the book doesn’t exist. The book was perfect so any film based on it could never really compare. Fight Club on the other hand, the book wasn’t perfect which left room for the film to be better or at least comparable.
    So yeah, Mary didn’t ruin American Psycho and I’m still in awe for how the film turned out with it’s small budget. IMDB is saying $8M which could be completely wrong but I’ll be very impressed until I see a much higher number.

19. frankbooth says:

‘RESCUE DAWN is like….the quietest movie made since the silent era. Everyone whispers!”
    You mean the quietest movie since the last M. Night Shyamalan flick.

20. But c’mon, isn’t “American Psycho” really a guilty pleasure/B movie? Did you guys read the original script that Oliver Stone was going to direct? Superior. I like the way the movie is, but it’s not a “good” movie inasmuch as it’s a fun/whacked out movie. And I think Harron blew it in many ways.
    And for my money Roger Avary’s “The Rules of Attraction” is an incredible adaptation. He takes Ellis’s words and makes them cinematic. That film was marketed horribly and is really a pretty awesome movie, imho.

21. ThriceDamned says:

I happen to think both “American Psycho” and “The Rules of Attraction” are very underrated.
    I rewatched AP not long ago and find that it ages really well. Much better than I remembered it (and I always liked it), and yes, one of the greatest performances of the decade from Bale.

22. Noah says:

I’m an extremely big fan of Ellis and I think American Psycho is a brilliant take on the novel. It’s more of a comedy than a satire like the book was and Bale nails the performance and the movie even integrates the Huey Lewis, Whitney Houston, Phil Collins passages into the plot. I think there are many different ways the book could have been adapted and this is one aspect, focusing on the hilarity of the premise in a sardonic way, poking fun at the chauvinism with a wink.
    I also think Rules of Attraction is the best adaptation of Ellis so far, perfectly nailing the rhythms and the tone of his books. I’m looking forward to what Gregor Jordan is doing with The Informers and, having read the script, I think it’ll be just as good as Rules of Attraction.
    Less Than Zero really should be re-made.

23. Monco says:

I second the notion that Christian Bale gave the best male actor performance of this decade. Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive is the best woman performance.

24. IOIOIOI says:

Noah.. no… no it should not.

25. Well, I simply love American Psycho. After Mulholland Drive and Moulin Rouge! it is my favourite film of this decade so far.
    To quote that great aussie flick The Castle – “It’s the vibe”.

26. IOIOIOI says:

Those are three different films there Camel. GOOD CALL!

27. Joe Leydon says:

Sorry: The best female performance of the year is one that most certainly will not get an Oscar nomination — Christina Ricci in Black Snake Moan.

28. I think I would die of happiness if Ricci (she’s around a lot today!) got some awards for Black Snake Moan ala Terrence Howard two years back. I loved the way she said “are you a pervert?” for some reason.

29. anghus says:

anyone else surprised that Hitman was #2 on Wed?

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump