Box Office Space…

Here on the east coast, they have these crazy times for sports… so I’m off to a college football game at 7am L.A. Time and will be back at the computer until about 3p. So keep an eye out for Len’s Friday estimates… or the other ones… and we’ll talk when I get back. All and all, it should be very uninteresting.

25 Responses to “Box Office Space…”

1. movieman says:

Saw “Saw IV” yesterday afternoon and the theater was packed with bloodhounds grooving on the geysers of blood, popping entrails and medieval torture devices.
    Not since the “Faces of Death” video series has there been a more nauseating and despicable franchise than the “Saw” progeny.
    As a loyal fan of the late, great “Gilmore Girls,” I’ve got to say that I choked back a tear at the sight of “GG” mainstay Luke (Scott Patterson) reduced to playing a cranky FBI agent on Jigsaw’s trail. Oh, how the mighty have fallen!
    I peeked into “Dan in Real Life” and was relieved to see that there were actually some bodies in the seats, though, so all is not lost. Not a great movie–and with many of the same structural problems as Hedges’ “Pieces of April”–but it was nice to see there’s apparently an audience interested in something other than crappola like “Saw” this weekend. I’ve got a hunch that warm-and-fuzzy “Dan” might actually prove to be one of the fall season’s few genuine sleepers.
    And “Gone Baby Gone” had a nice smattering of customers, too, so maybe it IS benefiting from solid w.o.m. Hallelujah.

2. anghus says:

saw Darjeeling last night with Hotel Chevalier playing in front and loved it. The theater was about a third full.
    There were so many teenagers there, i couldn’t figure out why. Half of them spent the film on their cell phones and wouldn’t shut the hell up. Theaters on Friday, Sat, Sunday are almost impossible for me to enjoy.
    I think cell phones have ruined the theater going experience for me. I just hate sitting in a crowded theater hearing people yammer on, or the people who think they’re being considerate by not talking but text messaging or checking what time it is every five minutes, the bright screen flashing in the darkness.
    fucking sad.

3. Andrew says:

Finally saw Lars yesterday late afternoon in the Valley. Only about eight of us in there, which I guess is not good news for the movie. One lady kept laughing her ass off, but I thought Lars was a sociopath in the making. In fact, if they had put in a scene of him murdering someone and left everything else untouched, it would still add up nicely.

4. anghus says:

1. SAW IV LIONS GATE 3,183 14,450,000 4,540 n/a 14,450,000
    2. DAN IN REAL LIFE BVI 1,921 4,176,000 2,174 n/a 4,176,000
    3. 30 DAYS OF NIGHT SONY 2,859 2,235,000 782 -64% 22,850,000
    4. GAME PLAN, THE BVI 3,342 1,843,000 551 -25% 72,646,000
    5. TYLER PERRY’S WHY DID I GET MARRIED? LIONS GATE 1,897 1,590,000 838 -54% 43,150,000
    6. MICHAEL CLAYTON WARNER BROS. 2,585 1,546,000 598 -31% 25,282,000
    7. GONE BABY GONE MIRAMAX 1,713 1,267,000 740 -35% 8,682,000
    8. COMEBACKS, THE FOX ATOMIC 2,812 1,197,000 426 -43% 7,672,000
    9. WE OWN THE NIGHT SONY 2,402 1,043,000 434 -43% 22,708,000
    10. NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, THE BVI 564 979,000 1,736 -47% 7,581,000

5. movieman says:

Awful–but not surprising considering “Saw IV”‘s bow–drop for “30 Days of Night.” Too bad, since it’s one of the best recent American horror flicks. DVD should prove kinder.
    Nice holds for “GBG” and “MC,” but “Bee Movie” can’t arrive soon enough apparently. The legs demonstrated by Disney’s abysmal “Game Plan” can only be attributed to the fact that it’s had a virtual monopoly on the “family” audience since opening Sept. 28th.
    The Rock’s abomination is so putrid-bad it makes Vin Diesel’s “The Pacifier” look like “Finding Nemo” by comparison.
    No figures for “Darjeeling”‘s expansion?

6. Andrew says:

11. Rendition (New Line) – $720,000 – $320 PTA – $5.8M cume
    12. The Heartbreak Kid (Dreamworks/Paramount) – $600,000 – $300 PTA – $33.6M cume
    13. Across the Universe (Sony) – $530,000 – $550 PTA – $17.9M cume
    14. Elizabeth: The Golden Age (Universal) – $485,000 – $304 PTA – $12.5M cume
    15. Into the Wild (Paramount Vantage) – $475,000 – $722 PTA – $7.6M cume
    *Darjeeling Limited (Fox Searchlight) – $465,000 – $666 PTA – $4.7M cume
    *NEW

7. Wrecktum says:

Will The Game Plan (inexplicably shown on anghus’ list as released by BVI) get close to $100m? Its drops have been incredible.

8. movieman says:

Great numbers for “Before the Devil:” let’s see how it performs once it expans to additional markets.
    Wow–those are some dismal opening day numbers for “Rails and Ties” (this weekend’s “Reservation Road”?) and Demme’s Jimmy Carter doc!
    But the Christian marketeers sure did a bang-up job of selling “Bella” to the faithful, didn’t they?
    Not much traction on either “Darjeeling” or “Lars,” I’m afraid. And will somebody please agree with me that WB fumbled “Jesse James” by not opening it on 2,000+ screens in late Sept?
    Brad Pitt’s name could’ve pulled in some opening weekend bucks (particularly after the quasi-surprise success of “3:10 to Yuma” a few weeks earlier).
    At this rate, “JJ” will never even reach $5-million which is remarkable when you consider that “The New World” (an even less “commercial” film with equally love-it-or-hate-it reviews) did better than that two years ago.

9. brack says:

I don’t get the cell phone texting complaint. I never notice it. Aren’t you supposed to be looking at the screen and not at your neighbors? You must have amazing peripheral vision.

10. CloudsWithoutWater says:

Too bad for Lars, it deserves better. But marketing beyond positive press has been non-existant.
    Good to see Gone Baby Gone with a strong hold, though, so word of mouth may prevent all from being lost there.

11. themutilator says:

Blackberries and people texting are ruining the theatre experience for me…and I got the theatres 3 to 4 times a week.
    People talking to each other and talking on the phone are still bothersome but a least you can tell them to shut up.
    While watching Rendition the other day, a guy about 15 rows in front of me continually used his blackberry, lighting up the whole theatre with his bright lit screen, driving me crazy. Its like waving a flashlight around.
    Watching Saw IV yesterday, there was a guy 3 rows back,but still in my peripheral vision, using phone to text and each time he would open his screen, it wouold take away from my concentration.
    I’ve never understood, you pay to see a movie but you cant or wont concentrate on the movie? You need to know whats going on outside the theatre?
    What about the paople that get up 5 or 6 times to take a call. If your phone is so important, why are you in the theatre.
    Sorry for going off, but I when I pay to see a movie, I want to see the movie and not someone’s correspondence. Dont people have any respect for the people around them. Obviously not!!
    While leaving Rendition, I approached the guy and told him that his blackberry was quite distracting. He said “Oh yeah, I know. Sorry” Asshole!

12. Fishermansfriend says:

Not all is lost for Lars I don’t think. It can still have a nice leg.
    But yea Best Actor seems most probable now, more than anything else.

13. brack says:

I don’t understand, you can see a guy 3 rows behind you in a theater? How is that possible?

14. themutilator says:

Easy…sit on the far left or right as I like to (to get away from all the talkers) and have someone in the middle of the theatre use their blackberry. You’ll see it.
    I dont get it, you are pleased that people are using their portable devices during a movie?

15. anghus says:

brack, if you can;t see it., maybe you just have shitty vision. be thankful.

16. brack says:

I never said I was pleased. I’m not for or against portable devices because it’s very easy to not pay attention to them.
    If you sit in the middle and at a distance where the screen takes up most of your vision, it is next to impossible to see a portable device. Don’t like talkers? Go to a matinee when there’s no one there. Even better if your theater has weekend shows before noon, where you get cheap tickets and rarely many people there. I avoid evening shows like they’re the plague.
    Yeah, I know we shouldn’t have to, but until the theaters take measure to take care of these issues, then nothing is going to change. You’re going to have to change.

17. jeffmcm says:

This $14m opening day for Saw IV is:
    (a) A gift from the other studios to Lions Gate who didn’t release any other horror product all month (except Sony, who released a mediocrity);
    (b) An obvious rebuke to everyone who’s been bloodthirsty for the decline of certain kinds of horror films;
    (c) F*&^ing awful and depressing that such a garbage series as the Saw movies can be so incredibly popular.

18. You people need to leave America. I rarely have cinema experiences like the ones you guys claim to have every week.

19. movielocke says:

I see one to two movies a week for the past six to seven years all over LA or the midwest and have never had an experience like some on the internet claim is routine. I can count on one hand the number of times in the last six years that someone has answered a telephone during a movie, and only once I’ve ever noticed a blackberry/textmessaging going on during the film. I sit all over the theatre space, depending on what seating is available, though I prefer between ten and twenty rows back, center.

20. Ian Sinclair says:

Paramount are going for Best Picture for BEOWULF and ignoring the Animated category. First Trade ad in HOLLYWOOD REPORTER has FYC’s in every major category except Best Actress: picture, director, actor, supporting actor, supporting actress, set designer, production design constumes score, etc. First ever showing of picture to critics and public will be at premiere on Nov. 5th in IMAX 3D.

21. Cadavra says:

Bad behavior in theatres seems more prevalent in L.A. then it does in other cities, due to the lower average IQ of my adopted city. :-(

22. Wrecktum says:

Cadavra, you’re insane and insulting. L.A. audiences are typically great. At least in the theaters I go to. I’ve never had one problem in the years and years I’ve been going to movies in L.A. Never.

23. brack says:

Take it as a sign that you people who have trouble at the theaters should just give up thinking your experience matters and watch dvds at home. ;-).

24. Glad to hear other Americans saying they don’t experience that stuff.

25. Cadavra says:

Wreck, you must be lucky, then. I’ve made no secret of waiting for a film to die down before I see it, but even special screenings aren’t safe. I once gently shushed a guy sitting behind me; he responded by grabbing my shoulder and telling me he would “fucking kill me” if I did that again.
    The film was HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY. The theatre was the Bridges at UCLA.

Box Office