Das Vaknifeya

In Eastern Promises, Cronenberg takes on Knight

11 Responses to “Das Vaknifeya”

1. Chicago48 says:

I want to see Eastern Promises, if I can find it in Chicago. I think it’s at 2 theatres in Chicago and one in Evanston. Just gotta find time to see it. But looking at the boxo, it dropped 50% and I”m thinking — there was another good movie out there “Talk to Me” and it got lost and never resurfaced….and I’m thinking maybe Eastern Promises will be the Talk to Me – not enough theatres or not enough interest in the material, which to me Talk to me was a really good movie.
    It just disappeared and don’t know what happened; does anybody know what happened?

2. anghus says:

i can’t figure it out. i figured with a history of violence being enjoyed by critics and mainstream film fans, their next collaboration would build on that 30 million.
    I think it has to be the material. History of Violence is about middle america. Maybe that contributed to the appeal where a story of Russian Mobsters doesn’t really appeal to everyone.

3. Joe Leydon says:

Or…. maybe a lot of folks who saw History of Violence didn’t like the movie, and passed on what they thought might be a second helping?

4. anghus says:

that’s true too. though i thought History of violence was well received.
    perhaps that is false.

5. Joe Leydon says:

Hey, I liked it, and I know it got some great reviews (and some Oscar nom love). But… How many of the people who bought tickets actually liked what they got for their money?
    I think we tend to overlook the possibility that some financially successful movies — including some big hits — really aren’t enjoyed by huge percentages of the people who see them. Judging from the reader mail I got after my MSNBC.com review of it, I’d put The Blair Witch Project in that category.
    I wish I could remember the exact wording of the quote, but years ago Jean-Luc Godard said something to the effect of, “Whenever an artistically accomplished film is also a box-office hit, it’s because of a mistake.” That is, it is a hit because audiences think the film is something other than what it really is, and may be very disappointed when they discover their “mistake.”

6. jeffmcm says:

I understand that the New Line people were a little disappointed at the movie they got with A History of Violence – they thought they had a sure-fire commercial hit and instead it turned out to be an art movie.

7. jeffmcm says:

The real reason why AHOV would do better than EP, though, is marketing. AHOV had a simple, memorable hook (is this family guy a mobster?) and EP is about…uh, something to do with Russian mobsters and the girl from King Kong gets involved somehow.

8. I’m gonna be skipping Eastern Promises. I was a fan of A History of Violence, but I wasn’t blown away by it and this one just doesn’t seem as interesting to me. Although I was a big fan of Stephen Knight’s Dirty Pretty Things (also dealing with foreign subcultures in London) but I’m more a fan of Ejiofor than I am of Mortensen.

9. Ju-osh says:

I’m not sure of the synapse connections in Kamikaze’s thought process, but I’ve actually thought the exact same things:
    1.”I was a fan of A History of Violence, but I wasn’t blown away by it.”
    2.”I was a big fan of Stephen Knight’s Dirty Pretty Things.”
    3.”I’m more a fan of Ejiofor than I am of Mortensen.”
    I just never thought them all at same time.
    Until now, that is.

10. Off topic (but there’s no recent BYOB) BUT…
    I read that link on the MCN homepage, about those piracy websites and I checked them out. They’re pretty sweet. But I was literally dying of laughter when I clicked on THE KINGDOM.
    It’s a really crappy camcordered version of the film and that’s just lame. But the kicker is, the guy who filmed it has the entire side of his buddies face in the movie. It looks like Mystery Science Theater or something. I only watched about a minute of it, but c’mon….if you’re going to break the law, be a little more sneaky.

11. Ju-osh, I was saying that while I liked Knight’s Dirty Pretty Things (directed by Stephen Frears, who I like more than David Cronenberg) I wasn’t a big fan of A History of Violence nor am I a big fan of Viggo Mortensen either. I’m interested by Knight’s ideas but, from what I’ve heard, Eastern Promises isn’t even as good as A History of Violence so I’ll probably skip it.

“Don’t work with assholes. Ever. No matter what they’re offering, no matter what they bring to the table. If they’re the sort of person where the phone rings at 10 o’clock at night and you wince because you see that it’s them, then don’t do business with them. One asshole will ruin your life. I’ve managed my entire TV and filmmaking career to work with people I like and respect. If the point comes where I don’t like or respect someone, I don’t work with them anymore.”

– Anthony Bourdain

The Atlantic: You saw that the Academy Awards recently held up your 2001 acceptance speech as the Platonic ideal of an Oscar speech. Did you have a reaction?

Soderbergh: Shock and dismay. When that popped up and people started texting me about it, I said, “Oh, it’s too bad I’m not there to tell the story of how that took place.” Well. I was not sober at the time. And I had nothing prepared because I knew I wasn’t going to win [Best Director for Traffic]. I figured Ridley, Ang or Daldry would win. So I was hitting the bar pretty hard, having a great night, feeling super-relaxed because I don’t have to get up there. So the combination of a 0.4 blood alcohol level and lack of preparation resulted in me, in my state of drunkenness crossed with adrenaline surge. I was coherent enough to know that [if I tried to thank everyone], that way lies destruction. So I went the other way. There were some people who appreciated that, and there were some people who really wanted to hear their names said, and I had to apologize to them.
~ Steven Soderbergh