Hulking Out

Why do I sometimes smack down other media?
The story of the grey Hulk is a classic.
Collider sits at a Spider-Man 3 table. Avi Arad uses the phrase “new color” in the midst of a long quote about the changes in the next Hulk film.
There is a follow up question about color, which in Hulk history could be grey, and Arad answers, “We

17 Responses to “Hulking Out”

1. EDouglas says:

Not only never seen outside of comics…but barely seen in the comics as well. The Hulk was grey for one or two issues in the beginning and they tried to revive it later to try to explain the color change in continuity, but most people know it as green.
    Unfortunately, Collider is turning into another IESB, a site so desperate for hits and attention that they’ll post anything as a scoop. Now I’m not saying that ComingSoon.net is that much better –I’m responsible for the classic “Daniel Craig says No to James Bond” post, which has a funny back story–but c’mon guys… Avi Arad knows what to say and not to say and when he doesn’t say something, then it isn’t news.

2. EDouglas says:

Then again, reading the story, he does say “new color” and then changes the subject when Steve asks about a “grey Hulk”… maybe he’ll be like a chameleon and change colors.

3. EDouglas says:

Sorry, third post (I do this a lot… just ask my editor who often gets four Emails where one would suffice)… but Avi wasn’t talking about Louis Letterier being asked to do the first Hulk, he was talking about Edward Norton. I can confirm this because Zak Penn told me the same thing when I interviewed him last week:
    (He told me a lot of stuff about the movie, why Norton would make a great Bruce Banner, the potential Avengers movie, and not one single other outlet linked to it despite him saying more about the direction of the movie and why they should do it than anything said in that junket over the weekend.)

4. Why, of all colours, would they choose GREY?!

5. Tofu says:

And in Spider-MAn 3 “news”
    “The Most Expensive Movie Ever Made
    How Sony’s $500 million Spiderman sequel spun out of control”
    As if I will ever trust anything with radar in the title (gamesradar is schlocky enough), but outside of shooting in New York, the production costs for these movies have always astounded me.

6. Me says:

The Hulk was grey for quite a while in the 90s, when he was going by the alias “Mr. Fixit” and working in Las Vegas (of course, this was a smarter Hulk, that could actually hold conversations with people). That storyline seemed pretty lame when I read it back then, and I can’t imagine they’ll be picking up that storyline for the new film.

7. Filipe says:

Me, this is storyline actually has some classic status. it was also set up to a lot psychological stuff that writer Peter David did later, most of it was used by Ang Lee, so it’s weird they are going there again.

8. Noah says:

I’d like to see a purple Hulk played by Samuel L. Jackson. Honestly, why is this even a story at all? Is it really that much of a slow movie-news week?

9. Wrecktum says:

With all the upcoming product this summer, you’d think there’d be more discuss than the shade of the Hulk’s skin. When did the media (new and old) turn into a bunch of basement-dwelling nerds?

10. Martin S says:

Here’s my uncredited contribution to MCN…
    Arad said as far back as the marketing of Ang’s Hulk that he and Schamus had talked about the Grey Hulk for the sequel because it gave the character a lot more range. They had also settled on Abombination and Leader as the villains. Arad had Penn brought into the fold after Ang-Hulk tanked and while Stacy Snider was still deluding herself into thinking it was a workable franchise.
    So, he will be grey and green, depending on Banner’s level of rage. It’s a big version of the TV show, so think Prison Break or The Fugitive with powers. Rumor had Biel signed for Betty Ross, which I have no idea what to make of. Statham was approached for a villain role, but it looks like he’s passed. Arad’s been after Malkovich since the early Spidey days, so he might get him this time. As for Norton, he’s turned down X-Men, Daredevil, FF, Hulk, and he pulled himself from consideration for the Two-Face role in the Batman films. He’s not keen on wearing anything that resembles a costume, so Banner fits in that regard. Also, it’s a nice payday, the lead role, and a lot less days on set. And since it’s technically an indie production, his deal with Arad should be pretty nice. IIRC, he made out on The Illusionist for that reason.
    And Daniel Craig for Captain America which would be near the end of his Bond deal.

11. Cadavra says:

Similarly, Godzilla was always grey until GODZILLA 2000, when he bcame green with purple highlights in his dorsal fins. Now that’s trivial!

12. EDouglas says:

Might want to update this piece, David… you were right. It was a deliberate misreading of what was (or wasn’t) said:

13. Richard Nash says:

Not making Hulk green? Typical Hollywood.
    This is the same guy whos ruined Fantastic Four, Punisher, and Daredevil, so Im not surprised in the least. You’re talking properties, if done right, that are billion dollar franchises.

14. jeffmcm says:

You’re behind the curve, Hicksville.
    Punisher and Daredevil could never be ‘billion dollar franshises’. Fantastic Four, possibly but not likely.

15. 555 says:

Plus Arad is not responsible for all decisions made on those franchises, as he dealt with other studios (Punisher = Lions Gate, FF and DD = Fox), whereas Iron Man and Incredible Hulk are purely Marvel Productions. And between the decisions made for those films, i’d say he’s off to a good start (helluva lot better than Rothman to boot).

16. jeffmcm says:

A friend of mine is working on Iron Man and according to him, the cast/crew was screened Ghost Rider before production began as an example of what _not_ to do.

17. Martin S says:

Jeff, I hope that’s true because that’s some funny shit.
    Empire now has Arad saying the Grey Hulk is a mis-read of his comments. I’ve been told it’s very possible since no one is sure about budget,(Avi’s number has always been 125M), few have seen a final draft and the new FX house, (Rythym & Hues I believe), means they’re not going to be able to build off the ILM programs, which would be much quicker to generate a second Hulk.
    Avi was set on an expansive toy line to shore up expenses, but that was when he was CEO. His incentives might have changed since he’s no longer controlling the direction of the company.

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier