Zodiac

I wish I could be more positive about Zodiac. I am a big Fincher fan and I think he is capable of real greatness. He is also capable of tying himself up in knots of nothingness with his clever brain. Zodiac is such a twist.
No question, Act One is the best. Here is where Fincher is able to do what he does best and to do it with some new turns. Even the odd beats – which, with a perfectionist like Fincher, had to be intentional – like a woman driving a car and losing any pretense of watching the road, basically works, since Fincher is so busy channeling Hitchcock and a ton of specific movie references along the way.

The rest…

16 Responses to “Zodiac”

1. tyler666 says:

Congratulations David, you has just become the new Ken Thuran!

2. bmcintire says:

Oh, Dave. Not that it will matter much to you, but you should prepare yourself for ZODIAC to become another CHILDREN OF MEN for you. For my own sake, I hope it does. Granted, I haven’t seen it yet, so I can’t really comment, but I loved Cuaron’s pic and would hate to be disappointed by Fincher’s.

How am I “the new Ken Turan,” Tyler? Because I think Fincher missed this time? Or was it because I was the most aggressive defender of Fight Club in Los Angeles?
    I have no problem with defending my position, BMc. In the end, they are opinions. But even if one disagrees with me, if they are fair, they have to see that my opinions on these two films are not unconsidered or rash… just not the same as some other people.
    I hope you love Fincher’s or whatever film you love. I’m not here to convince you. Not my job. But I am interested in your opinion of the film, even if we disagree. It’s called discourse and I think it will survive the web.

4. bmcintire says:

And defend it you will. I am guessing this opinion is going to inspire even more vitriol than CHILDREN OF MEN and DREAMGIRLS combined.
    By the way, I finally caught THE LIVES OF OTHERS this weekend. Liked but didn’t love it, and was frankly surprised to see that it had inspired so many champions toward its nomination and eventual win. Right up there with (or frankly, just below) BARBARIANS AT THE GATE. Oh well.

5. Jeremy Smith says:

I watched THE PARALLAX VIEW a week or so after seeing ZODIAC for the first time, and was stunned (in a good way, I think) at how fully Fincher had assimilated Pakula, right down to the seemingly inconsequential use of Pong. More than anything, ZODIAC is an aesthetic exercise, especially if you’re already well acquainted with the particulars of the Zodiac case. Fincher’s not after anything as conventionally excellent as the Kyle Secor arc on HOMICIDE (good call, by the way); the narrative, and the characters, are just familiar elements Fincher employs as he evokes a deep and seductive sense of mystery he has no intention of resolving. It’s actually a kind of audience cruelty (and most audiences will hate the piss out of this movie), but it’s also a bravura piece of filmmaking and, ultimately, unlike anything I’ve seen since Pakula gave up on the thriller genre in the late 70s. It’s *not* a masterpiece (many of DP’s criticisms are completely valid), but it is essential viewing if you give a shit about film.

6. mutinyco says:

One of the worst things that ever happened to me was reading a screenwriting book when I was younger. Because it made me watch every movie for a year and a half from the perspective of that traditional 3-act formula. And when a movie didn’t quite fit into it, I had a difficult time relating to what it was trying to do — since it was “incorrect” form.
    So I forced myself to the pass this kidney stone. It didn’t hurt that taking a weekend class with Syd Field where he spent hours scanning through hit movies to show how correct he was did more to disprove his theory than solidify it.
    Yes, there are certain films that very much benefit from a traditional structure. There are others that work simply because they don’t. In fact, most really great filmmakers have been more interested than not in experimenting with the narrative form — Kubrick, Godard, Bergman, Welles, Coppola, Antonioni, Altman, etc. Even Martin Scorsese’s films have been very loosely structured and episodic.
    What matters isn’t that traditional structure, so much as forward momentum. As long as the narrative FEELS to an audiences like it’s moving forward and going someplace, digression and experimentation will be accepted.
    And if I recall correctly, William Goldman never uses that structure when planning out his scripts. He thinks more pragmatically about what scenes he thinks are required to simply tell the story properly while developing what he feels is necessary. His process is more organic than a strict structuralist.
    Anyhow.

What’s your point, Mutiny… since Fincher’s film does have a three-act structure?
    I have no problem with films that don’t have conventional act structure. None of Malick’s do. ALL of Fincher’s have.

8. Blackcloud says:

I saw “Children of Men” today, finally. I have no idea what David said, since I avoided the discussion so as not to get spoiled. But I’m sure I agree with him at least 88%. The movie is overblown and underthought. It makes “V for Vendetta” look like a paragon of reasoned discourse. And “V” is dumber than a box of rocks.

Scoutt Foundas captures exactly what is wrong with Zodiac, while raving the film:
    “The form of the film

10. jeffmcm says:

Boy, I sure look forward to seeing this. I’m trying to remember the last time I agreed with DP on a film – probably The Departed :)

11. mutinyco says:

…Simply that you initially thought it was rather formless, but upon seeing it a second time it had a standard 3-act structure. Just sounded as if it was more acceptable to you by existing in that form.

12. Tofu says:

Blackcloud: Funny you should mention Vendetta in the same context as Children of Men. VfV carries clear cut central villains that the CoM novel provided, while the film version of CoM was more ambiguous like the VfV comic.
    Of course neither is interested in reasoned discourse. Narratively, those barriers had been lost long ago, and provocatively it would carry far less impact.
    The disappointment that there was not even a hint to sex in the film is going to make me laugh years down the line when I hear a similar disappointment for our own time now.
    “I forgave this while watching, but it occurs to me now that New York was a hotbed of patriotic politics and hero worship at the time of the first half of this film, but you would never know from watching this.”

13. Drew says:

Just curious by way of comparison, David… what did you think of Spike Lee’s SUMMER OF SAM?

14. I have no idea why I loved Summer of Sam so much. It’s crazy.

15. Kambei says:

I’ll be watching ZODIAC this weekend, but, from the trailers, it appears the comparison to MEMORIES OF MURDER is an appropriate one. It would be very difficult to make a better film of a failed attempt to capture a serial killer than that one, however.

16. 555 says:

This probably means I will really like/love this movie, since I’ve disagreed with DP on many of my fave films, notably Huckabees, Kill Bill and The Fountain.

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier

“My first objective relationship in life was with the camera. I didn’t understand anything but then I realized the camera is my friend. It doesn’t lie to me. It doesn’t manipulate me. It only reports what I’m doing. And therefore, for me to work with a camera and the camera to be directed by an artist, a craftsman, someone who knows what he or she wants, I couldn’t ask for anything more.”
~ Elliot Gould