Two Times The So What!

You know, I am thrilled for William Monahan and Michael Arndt and Amy Berg. WGA wins couldn

12 Responses to “Two Times The So What!”

1. Blackcloud says:

I’ll be disappointed if 300 isn’t the glorious train wreck it’s promising to be.
    Mainly, I’m curious to see how much the producers suck up to the Spartans.

2. jeffmcm says:

I don’t think the movie is trying very hard to be faithful to actual history – this is Hollywood mythmaking 101.

3. Telemachos says:

It looks more like “God of War: The Movie” than anything remotely historic.

4. Wasn’t it sort of surprising that Greengrass beat out Scorsese? But, yeah, it’s not their fault.

5. Actually, no. He’s British and so is the film. I think my brain fell out for a second there.

6. ployp says:

The makers of 300 came right out and said that the film has taken a lot of liberty with history.

7. Devin Faraci says:

300 has monsters in it. I don’t think they’re trying hard to be historical.

8. I don’t think anybody with even the slightest amount of interest in 300 would go in expecting anything resembling factual accounts.

9. RoyBatty says:

Good as place as any…
    The Movie City News home page is running a link for a Guardian story about how “terrestial” (which I assume to mean non-cable, free) TV is no longer showing classic foreign films like LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD and THE SEVENTH SEAL and how how this is depriving many of a chance to discover these works.
    Yet, what is the relevance to most of us in the States with access to cable? Between Turner Classic Movies, IFC and Sundance there is a heartbreaking abundance of these films available (“heartbreaking”, because in my 80’s adolescence we did not have this option: it was revival or bad VHS copies only). And TCM has hosts to offer insights and they show them IN WIDESCREEN!
    God do I envy kids now, between cable and great restored DVDs, it’s like a golden age to immerse oneself in great cinema.

10. Aladdin Sane says:

Roy, the problem is, unless a kid is actually really interested in film these days, they’re probably watching The Grudge 2.

11. Nobody is watching The Grudge 2.

12. Joe Leydon says:

Roy: Unfortunately, availability and access don’t always guarantee exposure. As I’ve written elsewhere: Just about any well-stocked public library contains every book Charles Dickens ever wrote. And it’s been that way for about 100 years. But how many people do you know have read every book Charles Dickens ever wrote? How many people do you know have read any book Charles Dickens ever wrote?

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump