The So Beautiful Season

Adam Gopnik wrote a piece in January 8, 2007 edition of The New Yorker titled, The Unbeautiful Game. It was about the issue of football stats and why they haven

9 Responses to “The So Beautiful Season”

1. martin says:

Dave are you high?

2. Blackcloud says:

Never in a million years would I have expected to see Hans Ulrich Gumbrecht mentioned on this blog.

3. Lota says:

“self-indulgent orgy can not be fought”
    ick. not a nice image Dave.
    well I watch them to see the clothes, especially the men’s suits for sinister reasons of my own, swig out of a hip flask, then wait for the vicious partygoers around me rip on the pageantry.
    I actually rather see Prince’s halftime show again. At least there was some element of surprise in that!

Why high?
    Please grace us with an idea, Martin.

5. Blackcloud says:

Wouldn’t this work better as an argument for why we watch movies? I’m not sure how it fits with the Oscars, which don’t seem to fit the criteria that Gumbrecht is applying. Those criteria being, as far as I can gather, the categories of aesthetic experience established by Kant in the Kritik der Urteilskraft.
    I never thought I’d see Kant discussed on this blog, either.

Movies don’t really have winners and losers. The Oscars, like sports, do. No?

7. Blackcloud says:

That is so, but I don’t think the “happy absorption in someone else

8. jeffmcm says:

While the idea that fandom is an extension of connecting to the art/artist sounds understandable and very human, there comes a point where it’s not really productive anymore. You wouldn’t treat Beethoven or Mozart as racehorses and we shouldn’t be casting great directors like Scorsese and Eastwood into this kind of competitive drama either. Of course, we all do it anyway, but…it strikes me as problematic.
    Martin, every few months DP gets all contemplative-like.

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump