The Dominant Festival

In the entry about Johnny Depp, a few discussions have started up that I see as bait for new entries. So, sorry to be talking awards at all right now, but I think these general issues are worth discussion.
One was the question of my description of the race’s markers. I wrote (in a comment):
The end of Cannes marks the end of the first eighth mile. Toronto gets us to the quarter mile. First week of November is the half mile. December 12 or so will be the three-quarter mile marker. Nomination morning is the mile. And the finish line is just a quarter mile from there.
A reader responded that, “The number of Cannes winners to get even a nomination at the Academy Awards in any category was so negligible that I had to also search Toronto and Venice to see how Foreign Language films fared just to make the time I wasted looking at Cannes worth some of the effort.”
This is accurate factually. No film that’s won Sundance has ever even been nominated for Best Picture either. Brokeback Mountain is the first film since Atlantic City to win Venice and get nominated (none has ever won). Berlin has a few more nominated winners, but they also

14 Responses to “The Dominant Festival”

1. That title since changed to La Mome.

2. EDouglas says:

You sure, Kris? I believe that’s the French release title. And yes, it is odd to have the American and French releases both with different French titles.

3. mutinyco says:

I’m watching ABC right now.
    If Rick Nicita or Paula Wagner are reading this, buy the rights to Bob Woodruff’s story, cast Tom Cruise, he wins an Oscar.

4. Jimmy the Gent says:

This is a little off-topic, but does anyone know the runtime to Zodiac? I plan on seeing it and black Snake Moan on Friday, and I want to strategize my plan of attack in regards to which film I see first in order to sneak into the other. I read BSM came in at 115 min. What was final runtime on Zodiac?

5. EDouglas says:

Zodiac is about 2 hours and 35 minutes and worth every second.

6. crazycris says:

Indeed, “La Vie En Rose” has been changed to “La Mome” (Edith Piaf’s nickname) for a while now! Can someone confirm what it will be when released in the US? Just so I don’t go confusing people with mixed-up titles when I write about it! I guess “La Vie En Rose” might click more with a non-French audience (as the title of one of her most recognisable songs).
    I hate title translations… in both directions!!! I kept having trouble writing “Days of Glory” instead of “Indig

7. EDouglas says:

The movie is playing at Rendezvous with French Cinema as La Vie en Rose (tonight as a matter of fact) though they tend to include the foreign title:
    This is the real teller in that the official site still says “La Vie En Rose” with no mention of “La Mome”:
    Americans won’t know who “La Mome” is, which is why it’s stuck as the French title. (It’s the same case as Avenue Montaigne)

8. Isn’t La Vie end Rose a Hollywood musical biopic, but in French? I don’t think I’ve read one good word about it.
    Dave, what about Venice? I believe The Queen launched there didn’t it?

9. EDouglas says:

“Dave, what about Venice? I believe The Queen launched there didn’t it?”
    I’m not Dave but yes, The Queen did launch there as did Good Night and Good Luck the year before.

10. Filipe says:

The Queen launched in Venice. And the same goes to Brokeback Mountain, Good Night and Good Luck and Lost in Translation (Coppola’s other two films launched at Cannes, but LiT was not ready in time).
    BTW, this year was a very strong year for Cannes launched films with 16 nods and 5 wins between Babel, Pan’s, Marie Antoniette, Volver and Indigines (2005 had just History of violence two nods and 2004 had 4 between Motorcycle Diaries, Fahrenheit 9/11 and Shrek 2).

11. bipedalist says:

“The funny thing is that this year’s winner THe Departed completely avoided the festival circuit as have plenty of other winners…Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, A Beautiful Mind. It just goes to show if you’re a big studio, you have more money to spend at getting your movie seen… the funny thing is that I don’t remember seeing nearly as many Oscar push ads for Departed as the other movies, maybe because it wasn’t as big a player at the GGs”
    Their non-campaign WAS their campaign. I am not sure they knew what they had. I knew what they had but when I saw the screening on the lot I ended up in an elevator with one of the WB publicists and I said, “wow, I just saw Departed – that is the best film of the year,” or something like that. And she said, “well, you should see Blood Diamond; that’s the one we’re hearing a lot about.” LOL. They had to keep quiet because of Scorsese. They knew the movie would sell itself because it was that good. But I bet they didn’t think it had that much awards potential. They really launched Blood Diamond in a much bigger way – they undersold all of their actors big time; that was their only really big mistake.
    The Departed and Flags and big studio movies like that really don’t need, nor do they have any place, on the festival circuit – why would they?

12. Since this comes from some of the comments I made, let’s clarify…
    13 award winning films from Cannes, Toronto and Venice in how many years? Since I was going back 28 years for my research, and there is at least 25 movies nominated for Oscars every years, 13 of out approximately 600 plus nominated films is indeed quite negligible to be considered any kind of factor.

13. EDouglas says:

I have a feeling WB were pushing Blood Diamond more because I expect they invested more money into it while movies like The Departed and Letters probably had financing from other sources as well. (As would be expected when you have Scorsese and Eastwood directing)

14. prideray says:

An odd renaming: ages ago, Diane Kurys’ “Coup de foudre” (Love at first sight) was retitled a different french title for the us: “Entre nous” (Between Us).

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump