Very, Very Odd

This is barely an item, but I just saw Edward Norton on Regis & Kelly Lee and when asked about The Painted Veil not getting any Oscar nominations, he suggested (hemming and hawing a bit) that the film was not eligible for this year’s awards.
Paraphrasing (no Tivo in Utah)…
Regis: “I can’ believe this film didn’t get any nominations.”
Edward: “It’s just coming out now.”
“I got a disc a month ago, when Naomi was on.”
“You got an early look.”
“So it wasn’t eligible for this year’s awards?”
“It’s, uh….”
“It’s coming out now.”
“Uh…”
It was actually a little more elaborate and avoidant than that, but this gives you the gist.
I can understand not wanting to talk about getting shut out, but… I’ve never seen someone do it like this before. If you didn’t know, you would absolutely have gotten the impression that TPV was not Oscar eligible in 2006.

15 Responses to “Very, Very Odd”

1. Unfortunately I just saw the same thing (I say unfortunately because my wife simply insists on watching Regis and Kelly…and The View…and it makes me want to punch the TV) and it made me think that he was only saying that because people who might want to see the film might think it’s not “good” because it didn’t get an Oscar nom and “little” films like LITTLE CHILDREN, LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, LITTLE PAN’S LABYRINTH and so on did get nominated.
    I dunno if people really sit at home saying “well, it didn’t get nominated for anything so lets go see something that did” but there is a certain cred that comes with having a nominated movie this time of year.

2. Hopscotch says:

For movies that people are unsure about, “unsafe” movies I call them, I do think that Oscar nominations help a lot.
    The “unsafe” movie for most this year is “Pan’s Labrynth” and “Children of Men”, I’m sure people who were on the fence to see Pan’s will put down the money now. I’m not sure about COM, though I tell every person it’s one of the best sci-fi movies I’ve seen in a long time.
    As a film fan, it’s one of the most frustrating things. I give my family, for example, a lot of grief for not seeing certain movies, and they’ll say the usual “looks weird”, “I don’t know anything about it”. Oh well, got to fight the fight.

3. Szasa says:

Keep fighting the good fight, Hopscotch.
    I one got into an argument with my father because he asked if I’d seen Patch Adams and I told him I hadn’t and probably wouldn’t. “We go see the movies you recommend, why should we see the ones you say are good?” he asked.
    “Because I would never tell you to see Patch Adams for one.”
    It leads to some frustration, but its worth it. I’ve gotten family members to see some great stuff they would have missed otherwise. If you can just get one ever once in a while…

4. My mom sees EVERYTHING and I always tell her, “if you keep paying to see bad movies, they’re going to keep making them.” She doesn’t listen though.
    Shoulda heard the conversations when she told me “That movie SHORTBUS looks really cute…”

5. Hopscotch says:

Thanks for the support,
    Some memorable ones for me was when I was being “difficult” because I didn’t want to see Jumanji with the family. Or being accused of acting like a “film snob” because I didn’t like “Peter Pan” (the new one).
    It’s not a taste thing per se, but a safety thing. For some if they haven’t heard of the star or anyone involved they just don’t care to see it. Over thanksgiving, everyone HAD to see “Casino Royale”, fair enough. We saw it. We all liked it. A trailer of Pan’s Labrynth preceded it and I could hear the whispers of “what’s that?”, “who’d want to see that”, “are those aliens?”.
    But who am I to judge. I don’t control their brains or hearts, they don’t want to see movies which I find fascinating and endearing, I should probably let it go.

6. Cadavra says:

My father would always call me to complain about how violent movies were. I finally said to him, “Dad, look at the ad in the paper. If the star is holding a gun and there’s a little box at the bottom with a big R in it, there’s a very good chance it’s going to be violent.” Not sure he ever actually took my advice.

7. Joe Straat says:

One of my family members shut off Minority Report halfway through because there “were so many weird things they didn’t explain.” When I asked what they were, they were ALL explained in the second half of the movie. Heaven forbid a detective movie have any kind of mystery. I think it was more the weirdness that turned her off really, but oy…..

8. ployp says:

I watch mainstream movies and anything else I can get my hands on. However, being in Thailand, I only get mainstream movies in the cinema. I have to catch anything else on DVDs, months, sometimes years, after they’re released in the US. You guys in the US are very lucky to get such a wide variety. I envy you.

9. Me says:

My dad, when he was working full-time, would never watch anything that wasn’t mainstream and had a cop in it. Since he retired, and got a medical condition where he has to sit in the same spot for two hours getting treatment, he’s started borrowing everything his local library has in their collection. Now he’s constantly emailing me telling me about all the tiny and weird foreign films that he’s enjoying that I haven’t even heard of. It’s very cool.

10. Richard Nash says:

Not being able to sit thru a movie like MINORITY REPORT says something about the person watching it. Not movies itself. Thats just a lack of patience and that person would probably be better off just watching sitcoms.

11. Hopscotch says:

Another weird thing is that it is not an intelligence thing (though in some cases sure), but I remember a college friend of mine, who is literally one of the smartest people I’ve met and probably will ever meet. What movies does he like: Jackass, Bond movies and Adam Sandler.
    This might set off a bad string, but I do sometimes think it’s a gender thing. Some movies females will just refuse to admit there is any quality to what-so-ever. Men are just as bad. “notes on a scandal” has several oscar nods and gotten great reviews…but I’m still seeing Smokin’ Aces this weekend.

12. jeffmcm says:

Let me give Notes on a Scandal two thumbs up, it’s really entertaining and not at all a chick flick, if that’s what you’re thinking.

13. Szasa says:

I’ll give your friend the benefit of the doubt, Hopscotch. Maybe he just wants to tune out when he sees a movie. I can understand that. Assuming he’s getting his intellectual fill elsewhere. That’s why I don’t assume some deficiency of character based on movie choices. (Though I knew someone who made sure they had everything starring Chris Kataen and Rob Schneider and I found it hard to connect after I found that out.)
    I think there’s an interesting paradox because I definitely think there are people that refuse to watch anything fun so that their rather snobbish adherence to high-tone material is properly broadcast. I like to think of myself as (and prefer talking to others who are) pretty omnivorous when it comes to movies. I love smart and subtle, but I also need big and loud sometimes. I would never give up horror movies even if they are cheesy. So, I’m a little all over the place.

14. Aladdin Sane says:

Oh man, my mother loves Patch Adams. I’ve never purposely sat down to watch it, but over the years, I’ve probably seen most of it, and I keep telling her it’s too obvious, and she should be ashamed to be liking it. Oh well. And to think she’s the one who took me to R rated stuff when I was too young to see it on my own – like LA Confidential and Heat.
    At least she’s wise enough to acknowledge that Pulp Fiction is a great film, even if she doesn’t care for it when it comes to rewatch value…
    I will hopefully see Pan’s Labyrinth for a second time this weekend, and maybe Smokin’ Aces during a matinee.

15. Lota says:

Patch Adams
    HELL for me would be me tied to a chair forced to watch Patch Adams on an endless loop, forced to listen to The FInal COuntdown song on an for eternity with a pint of gelato and william holden(or someone else in my hotness list) in his prime, both just out of reach…forever
    I think Patch Adams makes me more mental than Forrest Gump, I don;t know what it is about that movie.
    I wish I saw that with Ed Norton. Maybe someone f-ed up somewhere and it will come out shortly so thus he did not know what to say…or only felt half-hearted about the support it got.

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump