Sundance With David

23 Responses to “Sundance With David”

1. anghus says:

Sundance to me is still the best marketed film market posing as a festival.

2. Here, here DP.
    I gotta say…seeing the 5+day stubble, the cynicism and the look of sheer exhaustion in your eyes…I really don’t miss being there. It’s as you said-almost totally about the market and the buzz and not so much about MOVIES.

3. Jesus, was your cameraman wasted?

4. waterbucket says:

Looking kinda rough there, Davey. And go see Hounddog and let us know how good it is already.

5. Tofu says:

YouTube? No iKlipz, or was this just an unofficial… You know what? Whatever, right?
    And I guess the Sundance thing really is to be as shakycam as possible.

6. Jeffrey Boam's Doctor says:

I like how David uses the term “The Truth is..” when in fact he’s just espousing his opinion. The truth is Dave its the truth according to you. That’s all and no more. Please use “In my opinion yadda yadda” from now on.
    Thank you and godpseed you fijian emperoro.

7. The Carpetmuncher says:

I think its a matter of POV…if you are a journo, you need a story and for the most part the big story is a big sale which makes Sundance feel like a market. But if you re here for the movies it’s pure heaven…I feel like I haent seen a bad performance yet and hae loved a lot of films. And if Sundance is getting you jaded just ask one of the fantastic Sundance volunteers which movies they liked and why they re volunteering and youll quickly get your movie mojo back. if you focus on film as the fest asks theres not much to dislike…
    on a sidenote. Typekey blows big nasty chunks. it never remembers you. totally unpracticle. dave whats the deal? ugh…

8. jeffmcm says:

9. THX5334 says:

Dave if we are going to critique your choice of words while putting forth content….
    Can I please request that you stop finishing every column with: “And so it goes….”
    I can’t explain it, but this really is abrasive to me in a nails on a chalkboard way. I don’t know if it’s because it smacks of lazy writing (though I’m sure your work schedule is exhausting), seeing it repeated so often, or if I just don’t feel the sentiment.
    This is definitely one of those things, where it’s more me than you.
    I’m sure I’m alone on this one.
    Just sayin…..

10. Tofu says:

THX if we are going to critique your choice of words while putting forth content….
    Can I please request that you stop finishing every post with: “Just sayin…..”
    I can’t explain it, but this really is abrasive to me in a Madonna performing American Pie way. I don’t know if it’s because it smacks of dontgiveafuck writing (though I’m sure your posting schedule is exhausting), seeing it repeated so often, or if I just don’t feel the GRAVITAS.
    This is definitely one of those things, where it’s more me than you.
    I’m sure I’m alone on this one.
    And so it blows…

11. THX- like that post won’t inspire us ALL to finish our posts with
    And so it goes…

12. T.Holly says:

Someone should do a doc at Sundance about global warming in Park City… it looks like a balmy winter tropical wonderland.

13. Hallick says:

“Oh, I would like to second any Typekey-hatred as well. Especially how you seem to be logged in, and then type in a length posting, and then it says ‘you are not logged in’ and has erased everything you’ve just written.”
    I just had that happen to me! And I did math, damn it! Twenty years of painstakingly precise Oscar stats gone poof!

14. I asked it in the other thread, but I’ll ask here to. Any word on the sale of Aussie feature Clubland, apparently to Warner Indo for $5mil.

15. Tofu says:

The TypeKey thing is bull, but the words shouldn’t be gone. Just hit ‘Back’, copy them, signout, signin, and post again.

16. scout33 says:

Re word choices – I’ve been wondering why you have to talk at all, I mean, couldn’t you just mime or hold up cue cards with a musical background? (see Bob Dylan in Subterranean Homesick Blues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srgi2DkDbPU )
    The camera crews in the background are a nice touch – could they smile a bit more, maybe a few dance moves? And hey, keep the 5+ day stubble – sexaay!
    Also – what about John Carney’s “Once” – which one blogger from elsewhere calls “the Sundance heart & soul movie everyone’s talking about”. Which apparently is not entirely true, or at least you haven’t finished the cue cards for it.
    And so it goghs…

17. jeffmcm says:

When I hit ‘back’ the words I’ve typed are gone.

18. Joe Straat says:

By the way, David, that’s MISS Pac-Man. The only difference is bow, but you wouldn’t like being mistaken for a French prostitute. Or would you?

19. gg says:

The only difference between David and a French prostitute is a bow?

20. THX5334 says:

Tofu,
    I so deserved that.

21. Oh…forgot to mention this! I think there’s so many camera crews every year at Sundance for, well, the obvious reasons (BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ) but also because it’s super easy to get a press credential. I know people who get one, do the press circuit and use it to promote themselves and their projects. One couple I knew had like, 7 years of press footage just sitting at home. Interviews, segments, etc. They had like, a half-assed website set up that didn’t serve any purpose other than to get a press pass for film fests.

22. Do what I do and copy everything you’ve typed before pressing Post.

23. everything I’VE typed. Obviously I’m not stalking your computers.

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump