BAFTA Announces

The four presumed Oscar nominees – not Dreamgirls – get Picture, Director & Screenplay, as expected.
FILM
BABEL – Alejandro Gonz

7 Responses to “BAFTA Announces”

1. Ian Sinclair says:

TEN NODS for CASINO ROYALE including Best Actor for Daniel Craig. It seems the British have the balls to recognize the Rotten Tomatoes #1 wide release picture of the year. Shame on the Academy if they fail to follow suit.

2. Krazy Eyes says:

I agree. I don’t really understand why there’s not more of a best actor buzz about Craig for Casino Royale. It was an incredibly fun film and he was riveting in the role.

3. Melquiades says:

I agree… Casino Royale was the best time I had at the movies this year and I love seeing it so honored at BAFTA.
    Shocking lack of Children of Men in these nominations, especially as it’s set in Britain. I would have expected director at the very least.
    Another very strong showing for Babel. After being dissed by almost every critics group, it has been the strongest performer since.

4. Josh Massey says:

So did “An Inconvenient Truth” get snubbed by the WGA doc committee, or is there something I don’t know about?
    Oh, and if the Oscars were decided by me, “Casino Royale” would assuredly be a Best Picture nominee.

5. Stella's Boy says:

“An Inconvenient Truth” snubbed is an oxymoron right?

6. Melquiades, I’d have more cause for concern if Cuaron was indeed British. Greengrass is (United 93 up for British Film of the year is interesting. I know it is British, but it’s still weird seeing it there).
    Glad to see that the WGA and now BAFTA have recognised the effort it took to put together the United 93 screenplay.
    Oh, and the reason Casino Royale isn’t more of a factor is because critics are hypocrits. They’ll roundly praise both The Departed and Casino Royale for the same reasons, yet they’ll only give awards to the former because it’s Scorsese and more “important” or some bull like that.

7. cobhome says:

Wonder if Inconvenient Truth was not nominated – cause the Brits are Kyoto Acccords signatories and have an extensive program in place to reduce greenhouse gasses – might have been like the brit reaction to Syriana – uh – the Americans are just figuring this out ??

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump