Taking On False Prophets In The Hot Button

No one has looked over this Hot Button column, so I am afraid there will be some typos that I missed, but I am here on the island and felt it was worth pushing this out… not only so you could have something to discuss, but because this scam needs some calling out…
The Hot Button, Oct 18

Be Sociable, Share!

18 Responses to “Taking On False Prophets In The Hot Button”

1. “It could be argued that the only movie I was really capital-W Wrong on was Monster House.”
    All I’m gonna say is The Devil Wears Prada.
    But that whole system thing is ridiculous. Just… huh?

Well, Kami… as you must have noticed, it wasn’t about all of my summer picks. But yes, again, I turned out to be wrong on Prada. Happy?

3. jeffmcm says:

Don’t pester Dave when he’s riled.

4. EDouglas says:

How Sony decided to open Monster House in summer and Open Season in September is one for the ages. I personally think that if any of those failed summer animated movies were released in the last two or three weeks, they would clean up. I think we’re going to see a pretty high per-theatre average for Nightmare Before Christmas this weekened, because of the lack of kids’ films and the subject matter. (Likewise, they should have held Corpse Bride for mid-to-late October.)

5. Stella's Boy says:

EDouglas, what about Flicka?

6. I was just pointing it out because I wasn’t sure if you remembered or whatever. Geez. How was I to know that Prada wasn’t part of your random 30 movies picked? Considering you only listed the 9.

7. Krazy Eyes says:

Were’nt these the guys who posted their “predictions” on their web site on the Saturday morning after a film’s Friday premiere? All I remember was a lot of boasts and no hard data to back anything up. Go rip ’em a new one DP.

8. frankbooth says:

I don’t know about you, but I typically don’t eat by flare-light. Metaphors, like drinks, are best unmixed.
    As for the system, sounds plausible. Ask them what I’m having for lunch three weeks from tomorrow.
    I’d also like to know what they said about Cindarella Man. Does their computer factor in hurled phones?

9. frankbooth says:

10. frankbooth says:

I’m gonna go get a paper, get a paper.

11. The line was actually “I’m gonna go get the papers, get the papers.”

12. Cadavra says:

You guys sure aren’t ancillary-oriented. MONSTER HOUSE opened in the summer so the DVD (where the real dough is) could be released in time for Halloween.
    I am Cadavra and I still have Beta!

13. Surely the DVD won’t be out by Halloween. Wouldn’t that be 2 months?

14. jeffmcm says:

Cadavra is correct, the DVD comes out next Tuesday Oct. 24th, which is a 3 month window.

15. Jesus Christ.
    Why did people even bother seeing it at the cinema, really?

16. Joe Leydon says:

Hey, “All the King’s Men” will hit homevid on Dec. 19. And that date, btw, was anounced before it hit theaters.

17. Cadavra says:

Camel: Why did people even bother seeing it at the cinema, really?
    Me: Well, you could say that about a whole lotta films! MH at least had the novelty of 3-D on many screens.

18. frankbooth says:

I’ve been outgeeked. You can probably tell me the name of the actor, too, without looking it up. Sauve, MAN you’re suave.
    Here’s to your fuck, your fuck.
    I worry about you people sometimes. Watching the same movies over and over, sitting at computers, commenting on blogs…very unhealthy bunch you are.
    I am frankbooth, and MOMMY!

“I really want to see The Irishman. I’ve heard it’s big brother Martin Scorsese’s masterpiece. But I really can’t find the time. The promotion schedule is so tight, there’s no opportunity to see a three and a half-hour movie. But I really want to see it. In 2017, right before Okja’s New York premiere, I had the chance to go to Scorsese’s office, which is in the DGA building. There’s a lovely screening room there, too, with film prints that he’s collected. I talked to him for about an hour. There’s no movie he hasn’t seen, even Korean films. We talked about what he’s seen and his past work. It was a glorious day. I’ve loved his work since I was in college. Who doesn’t? Anyone involved with movies must feel the same way.”
~ Bong Joon-ho

“But okay, I promise you now that if I ever retire again, I’m going to ensure that I can’t walk it back. I’ll post a series of the most disgusting, offensive, outrageous statements you can ever imagine. That way it will be impossible for me to ever be employed again. No one is going to take my calls. No one is going to want to be seen with me. Oh, it will be scorched earth. I will have torched everything. I’m going to flame out in the most legendary fashion.”
~ Steven Soderbergh