Semantics? Apparently More

After running my Flags of our Father review, I got a lot of letters with a similar issue to the following

15 Responses to “Semantics? Apparently More”

1. palmtree says:

Marines are a type of soldier. I can see how it could be seen as an insult, but I doubt it affects anyone outside of the corps.
    “So much for love of country and patriotism, this is a different era.”
    Now THAT’S insulting.

2. Sandy says:

“So much for love of country and patriotism, this is a different era.”
    Now THAT’S insulting.
    I agree – why is it that not going to see FOOF in the theaters is perceived as being unpatriotic? It all comes down to what is entertaining at the movies….I bet FOOF will do just fine on DVD…but please don’t call the generations after WWII unpatriotic.

3. Eddie says:

I wasn’t aware it’s insulting to call Marine’s soldiers.
    However, commenting that it’s wrong to like a gangster movie over a WWII film is pretty nonsensical. Shouldn’t quality count more than genre?
    I’ll take pretty much any Gangster picture over Pearl Harbor, and that includes Corky Romano.

4. Wrecktum says:

How about The Crew?

5. Sam says:

As Ebert is fond of saying, “It’s not what it’s about, but how it’s about it.”
    Obviously in terms of historical significance, and importance in human history, the battle at Iwo Jima is far and away greater than any fictional gangster story.
    This has nothing whatsoever to do with whether Flags of Our Fathers or The Departed is the better movie.

6. dangeruss says:

what bothers me is that people are upset over david calling marines soldiers but nobody is discussing how FOOF failed to show any black soldiers at Iwo Jima. I know david posted the article on moviecitynews.com the other day but obviously that is less important then someone calling marines soldiers. how come marines arent making a fuxx about that?

7. Wrecktum says:

Marines don’t care about that. They just don’t want to be called soldiers.

8. jeffmcm says:

Because the military was segregated at this time in history – Eastwood is not going out of his way to make his movie all-white/Native American.

9. Tofu says:

The designation of not calling Marines soldiers is quickly eroding in these days where we use them for far more than just water to land assualts.

10. Cadavra says:

“Soldier” is now a perjorative. I am SO sick of everyone being a victim. Grow the fuck up, people!

11. So who can we call soldiers, for future reference?

12. ployp says:

“…I find it disheartening that a gangster movie would be the preference over one of the epic battles of World War 11.”
    I’m speechless.

13. jeffmcm says:

I hadn’t even noticed that until now.

14. Blackcloud says:

It’s more like World War 8 or 9, but whatever.

15. jeffmcm says:

Are we counting the War of Spanish Succession?

“I wanted to make you love a murderer. There’s no way of redeeming him. He’s a drunk and a killer. He killed at least seven people (that we know of). But there were reasons he was a bad guy. He was surrounded by evil in those days. A lot of people were killed building modern Florida—modern everywhere. Watson had plenty of opportunities to see how rough those guys were playing and he thought he could do it too. At least he rationalized it that way. He had the devil beaten out of him and became a very dangerous guy. And he couldn’t handle his liquor, which is one of the worst aspects of him. And he went crazy. Understanding how that happened is useful, I think. There’s no reason any one of us couldn’t be Edgar Watson.”
~ Peter Mathiessen On Writing “Killing Mister Watson”

“Objects and their manufacture are inseparable, you understand a product if you understand how it’s made.”
~ Jony Ive