Print Hits, April – Sept 2006

Just thought this was a little interesting.
The three national newspapers are the only 1 million circ papers left.
The Houston Chronicle is the only smaller market paper in the Top 10. (See Joe Leydon smile.)
For all the talk about Page Six’s “scandal” dragging down the paper, The NY Post had the biggest growth amongst the Top 25 papers.
Separately, the Newspaper Association of America also reported that, according to its analysis of online traffic data from Nielsen/NetRatings, nearly 57 million people visited newspaper Web sites in the third quarter, up 24 percent from the same period a year ago. That figure made up 37 percent of all Internet users.”
And our Hometown Fishwrap had the biggest drop in circulation, falling 8%, which represents more than 50,000 fewer papers sold each day.
USA Today: 2,269,509, (-1.3%)
The Wall Street Journal: 2,043, 235, (-1.9%)
The New York Times: 1,086,798, (-3.5%)
Los Angeles Times: 775,766, (-8.0%)
The New York Post: 704,011, +5.3%
Daily News, New York: 693,382, +1.0%
The Washington Post: 656,297, (-3.3%)
Chicago Tribune: 576,132, (-1.7%)
Houston Chronicle: 508,097, (-3.6%)
Newsday: 413,579, (-4.9%)

11 Responses to “Print Hits, April – Sept 2006”

1. mutinyco says:

What the hell is Serpt?
    Shortest expected remaining process time?

2. Eric says:

Declining circulation is the natural consequence when most of the papers offer the same content online for free. Why would I pay $1 for a New York Times? To get the crossword and some ads?
    I’m not surprised to see WSJ so high on the list, considering their web philosophy. They keep the news behind a subscribers-only wall.

3. RDP says:

My hometown paper? Specifically excluded from the list, even though they would be in the Top 25 (though not the Top Ten). But I am one of those people who was once a daily subscriber who now just reads the online site.
    I do miss the crosswords, though. It just wasn’t worth $30/month (or however much it costs).

4. Tofu says:

Yet the biggest newspaper in the world, the Yomiuri Shimbun, circulates 14 million copies a day (between the morning and evening editions), all while facing the Asahi Shimbun (12 million) and the Mainichi Shimbun (5.5 million).
    Japan… Doing everything different just because they can.

5. Sandy says:

I still read the print editions because one can go blind reading everything online.

6. Joe Leydon says:

Actually, the size of The Houston Chronicle is a bit of a sore subject for me, since the paper put my old paper (The Houston Post) out of business 11 years ago. (Mind you, I’m not bitter or anything.) I am surprised that Houston is still considered a “smaller market,” since it is the fourth largest city in the United States. But that’s OK: We Red Staters are used to getting no respect. LOL.

7. RDP says:

Houston will never get the respect of Los Angelinos after passing on Reggie Bush.

8. Jeremy Smith says:

Though Mario Williams is acquitting himself quite well with the Texans. Still doesn’t explain how they’ve gone five seasons without finding Carr an offensive line.

9. Joe Leydon says:

I think it’s way past time to consider trading Mr. Carr. Provided, of course, anyone else out there wants him.

10. EDouglas says:

And of course, the headline on the New York Post today is about the fact that their circulation is higher than the Daily News.
    I like it when the New York Post includes free comic books, because it’s the only time there’s anything worth reading within its pages.

I would trade for Mr. Carr in a second.
    Oh… you didn’t mean The Bagger, did you?

MB Cool. I was really interested in the aerial photography from Enter the Void and how one could understand that conceptually as a POV, while in fact it’s more of an objective view of the city where the story takes place. So it’s an objective and subjective camera at the same time. I know that you’re interested in Kubrick. We’ve talked about that in the past because it’s something that you and I have in common—

GN You’re obsessed with Kubrick, too.

MB Does he still occupy your mind or was he more of an early influence?

GN He was more of an early influence. Kubrick has been my idol my whole life, my own “god.” I was six or seven years old when I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I never felt such cinematic ecstasy. Maybe that’s what brought me to direct movies, to try to compete with that “wizard of Oz” behind the film. So then, years later, I tried to do something in that direction, like many other directors tried to do their own, you know, homage or remake or parody or whatever of 2001. I don’t know if you ever had that movie in mind for your own projects. But in my case, I don’t think about 2001 anymore now. That film was my first “trip” ever. And then I tried my best to reproduce on screen what some drug trips are like. But it’s very hard. For sure, moving images are a better medium than words, but it’s still very far from the real experience. I read that Kubrick said about Lynch’s Eraserhead, that he wished he had made that movie because it was the film he had seen that came closest to the language of nightmares.

Matthew Barney and Gaspar Noé

A Haunted House 2 is not a movie. It is a nervous breakdown. Directed by Michael Tiddes but largely the handiwork of star, producer, and co-writer Marlon Wayans, the film is being billed as yet another Wayans-ized spoof of the horror movie genre, à la the first Haunted House movie and the wildly successful Scary Movie series. (Keenen Ivory Wayans and his brothers were responsible for the first two Scary Movie films; they have since left that franchise, which may explain why a new one was needed.) And there are some familiar digs at recent horror flicks: This time, the creepy doll and the closet from The Conjuring, the family-murdering demon from Sinister, and the dybbuk box from The Possession all make appearances. But this new film is mostly an excuse for star Marlon Wayans to have extended freak-outs in response to the horrors visited upon him—shrieking, screaming, crying, cowering, and occasionally hate-fucking for minutes on end. Yes, you read that last bit right. A Haunted House 2 puts the satyriasis back in satire.”
Ebiri On A Haunted House 2