Klady's Friday Estimates & BO Hell – 9/30

(Note: A typo in friday’s numbers put Jackass: Number Two at $6.2 million. The correct number was $4.2 million)
Title | Distributor | Gross * | Theaters | % Change | Cume
Facing the Giants | IDP | 0.4 | 441
The Last King of Scotland | Searchlight | 41,000 | 4
A Guide to Recognizing Saints | First Look | 28,000 | 8
Journals of Knud Rasmussen | Odeon | 12,000 | 43
Broken Sky | Strand | 1,500 | 1
bohell930.jpg

21 Responses to “Klady's Friday Estimates & BO Hell – 9/30”

1. martindale says:

Not too many surprises, though I thought Scoundrels would open in the $12 million range.

2. jeffmcm says:

That 64% drop for Flyboys does my heart good.

3. Eric says:

So maybe there’s only so much interest in irritating animals voiced by irritating celebrities. To bad it took us so long to get here.

4. jeffmcm says:

And being #1 at the box office with a probable weekend tally of around $20million is a slacking-off of interest how?

5. EDouglas says:

jeff, compare that amount to Over the Hedge or the first Ice Age or Madagascar or even Chicken Little. Heck, Martin Lawrence dressed as a woman made more money its opening weekend! The last really successful family/kids film was Barnyard almost two months ago and even with that open playing field, Open Season has trouble making more than $25 million? Seems like slacking off to me. (There are just too many computer animated movies coming out…they’re not special or unique anymore)

6. jeffmcm says:

Yeah, and those movies were released in the summer and now it is September. Barnyard is a hit with a final gross of $70m and it only opened to $15m. I’m sure there is a slackening of interest, but it’s folly to say that it’s a dead subgenre.

7. Eric says:

Nobody said it was dead. And must every conversation be an argument here?

8. jeffmcm says:

You call this an argument?
    There is less interest because they keep making the same movies over and over, but this particular film seems to be doing pretty well regardless of that.

9. martin says:

Agreed this is a stupid argument. Barnyard was a modest hit, Open Season opening with these numbers at this time of the year is an even bigger hit. This type of movie is not even close to dead. Just wait until the next big Disney or Fox animation comes along on a holiday weekend, the anthropomorphic audience will be back in force.

10. Eric says:

Considering that they’ve been advertising the bejeezus out of this thing for months, and that “Barnyard” is the nearest competition, “Open Season” would have done better if not for the diminishing returns of this type of movie.

11. jeffmcm says:

Sure, but I don’t see it doing substantially better. Parents need a movie to take their kids to and this is the only real option, they’re not going to say no to it in large numbers because it’s the fifth movie of its kind this year.

12. Me says:

And Little Miss Sunshine keeps going, and going, and going…
    Is $60 million possible?

13. SpamDooley says:

lobelydave49
    Can you answer this question?
    Why is Thiki Finke reported a whole different order? With Jackass $2m less than you?
    I am Spam Dooley and I feed my people!

A. Nikki doesn’t report box office at all. She is told what to write by one studio.
    B. I think Klady might have typo’d, actually. Still waiting for his response.
    C. The Jackass thing is about the only variation on Nikki’s press release numbers. No?

15. palmtree says:

I think it’s unreasonable to expect these CG movies to open big every time. And even then, in the context of CG furry animal movies, $25 m doesn’t look so bad anymore after Ant Bully, Everybody’s Hero, Barnyard, etc. Which is fine because these movies can be and are being produced for less and less.

16. SpamDooley says:

David
    Yessir that is the only error
    But since I want Penny and Sandy out of a job it would be so sweet if Jackass week 2 beat Open Season.
    Ninja Sweet.
    I am Spam Dooley and I walk don’t run.

17. Am I really drunk or was SNL reasonably funny? Even though that fucking retard Dane Cook hosted…

18. KamikazeCamelV2.0 says:

All things considered, this weekend looks to be pretty solid. And it’ll be up from last year when Flightplan was #1 for the second week in a row.
    Last King of Scotland is doing mighty fine. A $10,000 average on Friday alone.

19. EDouglas says:

David, I think Jackass should be 4.2 million… I thought that number was high but when I figure out the math based on the percentage (and checked other estimates), it must have been a typo.

20. Dr Wally says:

Uh-oh, just look at the bath All The King’s Men is taking. Ouch.

21. Hi there, just wandered by. I have a Wilmington 4g site. Amazing the amount of information on the web. Not quite what I was looking for, but very nice site. Take care.

Box Office