Pop Quiz

What child star hasn’t been in a movie in 13 years, but will be in two, count ’em, two Oscar contenders this season, with a pivital role in one of them?
I will offer only one hint (not a great one)… Summer 2005.
Update – The correct answer comes early in the comments… so I’m putting his current picture after the jump…

JackieEarleHaley4.jpg

18 Responses to “Pop Quiz”

1. Jimmy the Gent says:

What about Summer ’05?
    Are you saying the last time we saw them in a movie was 1993?

2. Drew says:

Jackie Earle Haley.
    And it’s going to be interesting to see how he’s changed in the interim.
    ALL THE KING’S MEN and LITTLE CHILDREN are his two end-of-the-year films, for the record.
    I just met one of his BAD NEWS BEARS co-stars recently, Chris Barnes, who played Tanner. One of the highlights of my recent time on movie sets, I must say.

3. Spacesheik says:

Jackie Cooper.

4. jeffmcm says:

Drew Barrymore.

5. Josh Massey says:

Chris Barnes was on a movie set? Is he back in front of the camera, too? Tanner is one of the top 10 characters in movie history, for what it’s worth.
    And I don’t get your “summer 2005″ hint – because the “Bad News Bears” remake NEVER HAPPENED.

6. brack says:

Corey Haim

7. waterbucket says:

Brokeback Mountain.
    But then isn’t that the answer to EVERYTHING?

8. the keoki says:

Kind of cheating when Moriarty just swoops in with the inside scoop like that.

9. Spacesheik says:

Shirley Temple.

10. Spacesheik says:

Mickey Rooney in the potential Oscar winner: NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM.
    Will be his most dazzling cinematic performance since…uhm…THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE…

11. hepwa says:

Yes, Jackie Earle Haley, who was good in “Bad News Bears”, but was fantastic in “Breaking Away”. That was the last great film of the 70’s (in my opinion). And all you Brokeback fans, “Breaking Away” features a young Dennis Quaid in one of his best performances.

12. waterbucket says:

I haven’t seen the movie but I have seen Dennis Quaid’s shirtless picture there. Hmmm..me likey.

13. Eddie says:

Whatever happened to Charlie Korsmo? He was pretty good in Dick Tracy and What About Bob.

14. KamikazeCamelV2.0 says:

I have no idea who that is. I mean, I figure he’s from The Bad News Bears, but… yeah. 😐

15. Eric says:

Charlie Korsmo had a supporting role in “Can’t Hardly Wait,” which is an unfairly overlooked teen comedy. I believe he was the nerd who ended up singing “Paradise City.”

16. PetalumaFilms says:

Man, I shit you not….I was JUST wondering what ever happened to Haley. Glad to see he’s:
    A) Still alive.
    B) Getting some work!

17. Drew says:

I didn’t actually know the answer, the_keoki, until I did a little legwork and guessed.
    And no, Chris Barnes wasn’t in front of a camera. He’s an assistant director now, and I met him on the set of UNACCOMPANIED MINORS. What’s crazy is that he’ll straight up deny being Tanner when you mention it to him, but there’s no mistaking it. He’s that Chris Barnes, and there’s still a hell of a lot of Tanner in him.

18. Josh Massey says:

Eric: That was Korsmo, but man, “Can’t Hardly Wait” was EIGHT years ago!
    Drew: Yeah, that sounds like the Barnes I’ve heard about. There were some “where are they now” articles done for the 25th and 30th anniversaries of “Bears,” and he always refused to take part.

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump