Which Award Show Is The Best Predictor Of Them All?

BAFTA missed Munich

13 Responses to “Which Award Show Is The Best Predictor Of Them All?”

1. Sam says:

Looks like you’ve already done the work to answer your own question. But how do these organizations hold up over the past few years?
    It looks like the best Oscar predictor of the past continues to be. The DGA matched all five Best Picture nominees once again, for the fourth year running.

2. Josh says:

Basically, it’s a total crapshoot.

3. EDouglas says:

The guilds seem to be the closest right now… isn’t it 5/5 for both Directors and Producers guild?

4. Bruce says:

The guilds are the best.

5. Hopscotch says:

I’ve been telling friends for the last two years that the BFCA are the closest I’ve seen to reflect the winners. The Guilds are just about as close, but they’ve been off on different years.

6. Sam says:

No, the Producers Guild had “Walk the Line” in place of “Munich.” Still, 4/5 isn’t bad for the PGA, which is often 3/5.
    My guess is the SAG’s got the winners for all four acting categories right, but for the noms themselves it only had a perfect score for Supporting Actress (4/5 on the other three). The WGA got 8/10 (Syriana placing in different categories makes 9/10 the best it could have done).

7. Goulet says:

Who gives a crap? Seriously, what’s the point of giving out awards if you don’t even vote for your favorites but for who you think will make it at the Oscars?
    At least I’m pretty sure the HFPA actually likes the movies it votes for. BFCA are just playing the prediction game, hoping to be perceived as having influence than raking in the attention/money. Pathetic.

8. chmoye says:

You didn’t mention that the BFCA got all five Best Pictures by using 10 nomination slots. I could have done that myself. 😉

HFPA had 10… and missed 2.
    Snf no, Goulet… HFPA is teh most political of the groups, except for member preferences by some of the guilds.

10. Mackygee says:

Doesn’t the fact that BAFTA left off MUNICH have to do with release dates in Britain? Wouldn’t it be theoretically nominatable next year?
    (Or am I correctly remembering there was some foul-up in getting
    dvds to the nominating committee over there? God knows, there were enough snafus involved with the way MUNICH has been released and marketed.)

11. KamikazeCamelV2.0 says:

WAY TO GO BROADCAST FILM CRITICS!!!!! How many more years of bragging rights does this give your pathetic institution. John Leguizamo sure was right.
    Sorry, but holy fuck.
    Can we also acknowledge that the Hollywood Foreign Press were pretty much the only organisation that thought for itself. BBM, GN&GL, Constant Gardener, Match Point and History of Violence – was never gonna happen with AMPAS, and now that the noms are out it’s making me appreciate the globes all the more.

12. bipedalist says:

It’s rather sad that you have to pat yourself and your critics group on the back continually because, for once, you/it got the one movie other people expected would have dropped off (and maybe you should open your stubborn heart to reasons why instead of continually stating, they just don’t get it – why don’t they get it? because they’re not Spielberg apologists. Scorsese apologists, yes, but Spielberg could have done MUCH better). SO FUCKING WHAT? Get over yourself. It’s unbecoming.

13. LesterFreed says:

Why not relax with your angry spew, bipedal. We get it already.
    The Hollywood Foreign Press also had 2 different categories. Comedy and Drama to put films into.

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier