Slamdance On Ice… Almost

Slamdance co-founder Dan Mirvish is in a wheelchair these days after an accident back in L.A. So Tuesday night, after an event in near-to-Park-City Kimball Junction, Dan was a little hungry and when finding the local Wendy’s closed, he wheeled his chair into the drive-thru lane.
But they wouldn’t serve him since he was not in a car. But he was, he pointed out, in a wheeled vehicle.. Feeling the challenge to both his hunger and to the handicapped (although Wendy’s and monst fast food restaurants have strict rules about serving only car-driving patrons in the drive-thru), Dan went back to the party and brought a video crew, a wire Image photgrapher, and an extravagantly dressed lesbian band back to the drive-thru. Still, no luck.
(Edit 1:53p – Forgot part of the story) Then the police showed up and bullhorned, “You in the wheelchair… pull over!” They kept Dan and his rollicking crew out in the cold for 30 minutes before finally allowing them to wheel away
But Dan, not one to quit anything (he fought the Academy last year to try to get a Musical category reinstated with hopes of a nomination for his film Open House), actually spoke to Wnedy’s corporate this morning. The drive-thru rule is no walk-ups and no one on bicycles. There is not notation about wheelchairs.
Expect to hear more about this from Dan and the media in the days to come.

8 Responses to “Slamdance On Ice… Almost”

1. Bruce says:

I never understood how they won’t serve people without being in cars. Must be a hard and fast rule they have.

2. Josh says:

I guess he really wanted his Chocolate Frosty and Biggie fries.

3. Eric says:

Please. To claim that this is an issue of prejudice against the handicapped is disingenuous at best, and exploitative and crass at worst.
    They have these rules for LIABILITY purposes. And a person in a wheelchair is just as likely, if not MORE likely, to get hit by a car coming around the corner.
    I agree that it’s sort of bogus that people without a car can’t get food after the dining room closes. There should be a walk-up window. But don’t try to convince me that people in wheelchairs should have a right to the drive-through and people on foot should not.

4. Mark Ziegler says:

I hope he was doing it for comedy. Because it sounds funny. Imagine being behind this guy on the drive thru line?

5. Sanchez says:

I smell….Publicity stunt!
    Now I actually know who this guy is.

6. Joe Straat says:

I can understand him if he was serious. I mean, man, when you get a craving for a spicy chicken sandwich, you can’t stop until that thing’s sizzling your tongue.

7. grandcosmo says:

Since “Supersize Me” is now what passes for a cutting edge documentary these days maybe Mirvish can make a similarly contrived bullshit doc and ride it to fame and fortune.

8. bicycle bob says:

the question remains. did he get his sandwich or burger or what?

Glamourboy on: BYO Keanu

Glamourboy on: BYO Keanu

Pete B. on: BYO Keanu

Glamourboy on: BYO Keanu

Pete B. on: BYO Keanu

Amblinman on: BYO Keanu

Glamourboy on: BYO Keanu

leahnz on: BYO Keanu

movieman on: BYO Keanu

palmtree on: BYO Keanu

“With any character, the way I think about it is, you have the role on the page, you have the vision of the director and you have your life experience… I thought it was one of the foundations of the role for John Wick. I love his grief. For the character and in life, it’s about the love of the person you’re grieving for, and any time you can keep company with that fire, it is warm. I absolutely relate to that, and I don’t think you ever work through it. Grief and loss, those are things that don’t ever go away. They stay with you.”
~ Keanu Reeves

“I was checking through stuff the other day for technical reasons. I came across The Duellists on Netflix and I was absolutely stunned to see that it was exquisitely graded. So, while I rarely look up my old stuff, I stopped to give it ten minutes. Bugger me, I was there for two hours. I was really fucking pleased with what it was and how the engine still worked within the equation and that engine was the insanity and stupidity of war. War between two men, in that case, who fight on thought they both eventually can’t remember the reason why. It was great, yeah. The great thing about these platforms now is that, one way or another, they’ll seek out and then put out the best possible form and the long form. Frequently, films get cut down because of that curse in which the studio felt or feels that they have to preview. And there’s nothing worse than a preview to diminish the original intent.Oh, yeah, how about every fucking time? And I’ve stewed about films later even more because when you tell the same joke 20 times the joke’s no longer funny. When you tell a bad joke once or twice? It’s fine. But come on, now. Here’s the key on the way I feel when I approach the movie: I try to keep myself as withdrawn from the project as possible once I’ve filmed it. And – this is all key on this – then getting a really excellent editor so I never have to sit in on editing. What happens if you sit in is you become stale and every passage or joke, metaphorically speaking, gets more and more tired. You start cutting it all back because of fatigue. So what you have to do is keep your distance and therefore, in a funny kind of way, you, as the director, should be the preview and that’s it.”
~ Sir Ridley Scott