Slamdance On Ice… Almost

Slamdance co-founder Dan Mirvish is in a wheelchair these days after an accident back in L.A. So Tuesday night, after an event in near-to-Park-City Kimball Junction, Dan was a little hungry and when finding the local Wendy’s closed, he wheeled his chair into the drive-thru lane.
But they wouldn’t serve him since he was not in a car. But he was, he pointed out, in a wheeled vehicle.. Feeling the challenge to both his hunger and to the handicapped (although Wendy’s and monst fast food restaurants have strict rules about serving only car-driving patrons in the drive-thru), Dan went back to the party and brought a video crew, a wire Image photgrapher, and an extravagantly dressed lesbian band back to the drive-thru. Still, no luck.
(Edit 1:53p – Forgot part of the story) Then the police showed up and bullhorned, “You in the wheelchair… pull over!” They kept Dan and his rollicking crew out in the cold for 30 minutes before finally allowing them to wheel away
But Dan, not one to quit anything (he fought the Academy last year to try to get a Musical category reinstated with hopes of a nomination for his film Open House), actually spoke to Wnedy’s corporate this morning. The drive-thru rule is no walk-ups and no one on bicycles. There is not notation about wheelchairs.
Expect to hear more about this from Dan and the media in the days to come.

8 Responses to “Slamdance On Ice… Almost”

1. Bruce says:

I never understood how they won’t serve people without being in cars. Must be a hard and fast rule they have.

2. Josh says:

I guess he really wanted his Chocolate Frosty and Biggie fries.

3. Eric says:

Please. To claim that this is an issue of prejudice against the handicapped is disingenuous at best, and exploitative and crass at worst.
    They have these rules for LIABILITY purposes. And a person in a wheelchair is just as likely, if not MORE likely, to get hit by a car coming around the corner.
    I agree that it’s sort of bogus that people without a car can’t get food after the dining room closes. There should be a walk-up window. But don’t try to convince me that people in wheelchairs should have a right to the drive-through and people on foot should not.

4. Mark Ziegler says:

I hope he was doing it for comedy. Because it sounds funny. Imagine being behind this guy on the drive thru line?

5. Sanchez says:

I smell….Publicity stunt!
    Now I actually know who this guy is.

6. Joe Straat says:

I can understand him if he was serious. I mean, man, when you get a craving for a spicy chicken sandwich, you can’t stop until that thing’s sizzling your tongue.

7. grandcosmo says:

Since “Supersize Me” is now what passes for a cutting edge documentary these days maybe Mirvish can make a similarly contrived bullshit doc and ride it to fame and fortune.

8. bicycle bob says:

the question remains. did he get his sandwich or burger or what?

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier