Slamdance On Ice… Almost

Slamdance co-founder Dan Mirvish is in a wheelchair these days after an accident back in L.A. So Tuesday night, after an event in near-to-Park-City Kimball Junction, Dan was a little hungry and when finding the local Wendy’s closed, he wheeled his chair into the drive-thru lane.
But they wouldn’t serve him since he was not in a car. But he was, he pointed out, in a wheeled vehicle.. Feeling the challenge to both his hunger and to the handicapped (although Wendy’s and monst fast food restaurants have strict rules about serving only car-driving patrons in the drive-thru), Dan went back to the party and brought a video crew, a wire Image photgrapher, and an extravagantly dressed lesbian band back to the drive-thru. Still, no luck.
(Edit 1:53p – Forgot part of the story) Then the police showed up and bullhorned, “You in the wheelchair… pull over!” They kept Dan and his rollicking crew out in the cold for 30 minutes before finally allowing them to wheel away
But Dan, not one to quit anything (he fought the Academy last year to try to get a Musical category reinstated with hopes of a nomination for his film Open House), actually spoke to Wnedy’s corporate this morning. The drive-thru rule is no walk-ups and no one on bicycles. There is not notation about wheelchairs.
Expect to hear more about this from Dan and the media in the days to come.

8 Responses to “Slamdance On Ice… Almost”

1. Bruce says:

I never understood how they won’t serve people without being in cars. Must be a hard and fast rule they have.

2. Josh says:

I guess he really wanted his Chocolate Frosty and Biggie fries.

3. Eric says:

Please. To claim that this is an issue of prejudice against the handicapped is disingenuous at best, and exploitative and crass at worst.
    They have these rules for LIABILITY purposes. And a person in a wheelchair is just as likely, if not MORE likely, to get hit by a car coming around the corner.
    I agree that it’s sort of bogus that people without a car can’t get food after the dining room closes. There should be a walk-up window. But don’t try to convince me that people in wheelchairs should have a right to the drive-through and people on foot should not.

4. Mark Ziegler says:

I hope he was doing it for comedy. Because it sounds funny. Imagine being behind this guy on the drive thru line?

5. Sanchez says:

I smell….Publicity stunt!
    Now I actually know who this guy is.

6. Joe Straat says:

I can understand him if he was serious. I mean, man, when you get a craving for a spicy chicken sandwich, you can’t stop until that thing’s sizzling your tongue.

7. grandcosmo says:

Since “Supersize Me” is now what passes for a cutting edge documentary these days maybe Mirvish can make a similarly contrived bullshit doc and ride it to fame and fortune.

8. bicycle bob says:

the question remains. did he get his sandwich or burger or what?

~ Hideo Kojima

“They’re still talking about the ‘cathedral of cinema,’ the ‘communal experience,’ blah blah. The experiences I’ve had recently in the theatre have not been good. There’s commercials, noise, cellphones. I was watching Colette at the Varsity, and halfway through red flashes came up at the bottom of the frame. A woman came out and said, ‘We’re going to have to reboot, so take fifteen minutes and come back.’ Then they rebooted it from the beginning, and she had to ask the audience to tell her how far to go. You tell me, is that a great experience? I generally don’t watch movies in a cinema at all. Netflix is the future. It’s the present. But the whole paradigm of a series, binge-watching, it’s quite different. My first reaction is that it’s more novelistic, because if you have an eight-hour season, you can get into complex, intricate things. You can let it breathe and the audience expectations are such that they will let you, where before they wouldn’t have the patience. I think only the surface has been touched with experimenting with that.”
~ David Cronenberg