Spielberg's Wished

I sat on Laura Holson

19 Responses to “Spielberg's Wished”

1. mutinyco says:

It should be noted that the only true ‘blockbuster’ Spielberg has directed in the SKG era was War of the Worlds. And even that was hardly a popcorn movie. He doesn’t seem interested anymore in making movies solely for profit. Though he knows the terrain well enough that he can still pull $100-million out of smaller, edgier fare. His films will continue to be profitable, but I would be surprised to see him chasing after the big one again.

2. Hopscotch says:

I’ll bet him making the decision of turning down Harry Potter and Spiderman will be seen as his lack of interest in blockbusters for the rest of his career. I’m not saying he’s the “right” director for those movies, but each of those would have been a personal fortune for him had he said yes.
    And I don’t think he wants to make Indy IV anymore. He might reluctantly do it, but I don’t think his heart would be in it.
    Most aspiring filmmakers, like myself, have a love/hate relationship with Senor Spielberg. We all wish he keeps doing great things.

3. Mark Ziegler says:

You have to pay for talent. And Spielberg is certainly worth the investment.
    My thought back when they created Dreamworks was that Spielberg would concentrate everything he did with that company. And that hasn’t been the case.

4. PandaBear says:

I’m just stoked he loves to work. What movie lover can complain about his output lately?

5. Angelus21 says:

Dreamworks needed a studio lot. They should have realized that from Day 1.

6. Wrecktum says:

^ They did. That’s why they were deeply involved in the failed Playa Del Rey development.

7. Angelus21 says:

They should have had it secured before they started. Would have cured a lot of ills for them.

8. Wrecktum says:

I don’t disagree.

9. joefitz84 says:

Spielberg. The man is an industry.

10. Chucky in Jersey says:

Stvn Splbrg did more than “bring Mimi Leder to film”. She was the director for the first DreamWorks release, “The Peacemaker”, back in the fall of ’97.
    Two corrections:
    (1) Steve Ross became co-chairman of the merged Time Warner in 1989 when Warner Communications merged with Time Inc. He died in 1991.
    (2) “Capote” was released by Sony Pictures Classics because United Artists’ parent company (MGM) was acquired by Sony.

11. Josh says:

Bringing Mimi Leder was a good thing?

12. Cadavra says:

Well, yeah, if you believe in the concept of “Pay It Forward.” 😀

13. Blackcloud says:

We’ll know someone has succeeded Spielberg when this article is written about them.

I’m not sure what you are correcting, Chucky.
    According to where I found it, he died where I wrote. But willing to concede and will check again. Still, he was WB in the Spielberg period.
    I know why SPC has Capote, but that was kind of the point.

15. jeffmcm says:

According to Wikipedia, Steve Ross died in 1992. You’re both wrong, ha ha ha.

16. Terence D says:

I forgot where Chucky was the editor. Ha.

17. mysteryperfecta says:

Spielberg is the best “known” director today? Are you saying that there’s someone you think is better than few know of? Who?

18. BluStealer says:

Well, who is better than Spielberg working today?
    David Lean? He’s unavailable.

19. KamikazeCamelV2.0 says:

At the present time, there are quite a few directors bringing out better work. He doesn’t seem to have a groove right now.
    How Spielberg Got His Groove Back will be a box office hit.

“What Quibi trying to do is get to the next generation of film narrative. The first generation was movies, and they were principally two-hour stories that were designed to be watched in a single sitting in a movie theater [ED: After formats like the nickelodeon]. The next generation of film narrative was television, principally designed to be watched in one-hour chapters in front of a television set. I believe the third generation of film narrative will be a merging of those two ideas, which is to tell two-hour stories in chapters that are seven to ten minutes in length. We are actually doing long-form in bite-size.”
~ Jeffrey Katzenberg

“The important thing is: what makes the audience interested in it? Of course, I don’t take on any roles that don’t interest me, or where I can’t find anything for myself in it. But I don’t like talking about that. If you go into a restaurant and you have been served an exquisite meal, you don’t need to know how the chef felt, or when he chose the vegetables on the market. I always feel a little like I would pull the rug out from under myself if I were to I speak about the background of my work. My explanations would come into conflict with the reason a movie is made in the first place — for the experience of the audience — and that, I would not want.
~  Christoph Waltz