Kaus On Goldstein

Quoting Kaus’ entire citation
That’s how I feel about sex! The LAT’s Patrick Goldstein attacks Oscar prediction blogging, then produces the Buried Weasel Graf of the Week:
Full disclosure: I write an Oscar prediction column too, but I do it once a year, not 47 times a week.
Goldstein adds, “without getting into the Academy Award prediction business full-time, I may be doing an Oscar podcast in the near future too.” … That’s OK. Go ahead, do it full-time! As long as you let us know you’d really rather “wrestle with questions about what our movies say about America today.” God help us.
… P.S.: Hollywood is an isolated subculture populated by quirky egomaniacs, and movies have long lead times. They are lousy barometers of “America today.” Indeed, wrestling with “what movies say about America today” is usually just a disingenuous, intellectually flattering, week-in-reviewish way of writing about glamorous stars and directors and attracting lucrative movie ads. At least Oscar handicappers are open and straightforward about what they’re doing. … 5:55 P.M.

11 Responses to “Kaus On Goldstein”

1. BluStealer says:

Talk about a self important writer. Trying to disparage DP even as he writes about his Oscar column. Maybe deep down he knows he can’t compete with Dave on it.

2. Bruce says:

I’d hate the prediction game too if I picked a turkey like Jarhead.

3. Terence D says:

Goldstein seems to hate “the oscar prediction” thing yet can’t help himself from trying to do it. So he has to take a few shots at the leader of the industry along the way. Childish, immature. For sure. Seen right thru? Yes.

4. Mark Ziegler says:

What’s wrong with doing a prediction column all year long? Obviously, there is a strong market for it.

5. jeffmcm says:

That last paragraph is a pretty weak rationalization for being lazy and intellectually undemanding. It’s okay to ignore “America today” because everyone _else_ is a self-centered celebrity chaser. Might as well report on box office numbers.

6. jeffmcm says:

Not Mark’s paragraph…the one up top.

7. ManWithNoName says:

I generally read a lot about the industry. Does it mean anything that I have never once heard of Patrick Goldstein in my life until Dave’s column, but visit MCN and THB every day??

8. joefitz84 says:

Saying everyone is ” a self centered media chaser” is just a weak generalization. I’m sure if this Goldstein guy just wrote on what he wanted to everyday(like Dave does) he wouldn’t be pissy and have to worry about anything.
    What is stopping him from writing about what he wants to?

9. Richard Nash says:

Goldstein is just proving himself to be a hack who is scared of playing in a new arena with new rules.

10. KamikazeCamelV2.0 says:

“At least Oscar handicappers are open and straightforward about what they’re doing.”
    And that’s what this guy doesn’t understand. We like it, it’s fun. Why shouldn’t we be allowed to obsess over whether Keira Knightley will or won’t get nominated. Or whether Munich will or won’t win Best Picture. Or whether Woody Allen’s Match Point is or isn’t the big return.
    It’s fun. And it also adds something to movie watching. It really does make me at least pay more attention to subtle things.

11. Chucky in Jersey says:

Oscar handicappers are hacks with nothing better to do.
    Last month Fark.com linked to a story [from Canada] about the Oscar Jinx. Google for Oscar jinx — the story may still be around.

~ Hideo Kojima

“They’re still talking about the ‘cathedral of cinema,’ the ‘communal experience,’ blah blah. The experiences I’ve had recently in the theatre have not been good. There’s commercials, noise, cellphones. I was watching Colette at the Varsity, and halfway through red flashes came up at the bottom of the frame. A woman came out and said, ‘We’re going to have to reboot, so take fifteen minutes and come back.’ Then they rebooted it from the beginning, and she had to ask the audience to tell her how far to go. You tell me, is that a great experience? I generally don’t watch movies in a cinema at all. Netflix is the future. It’s the present. But the whole paradigm of a series, binge-watching, it’s quite different. My first reaction is that it’s more novelistic, because if you have an eight-hour season, you can get into complex, intricate things. You can let it breathe and the audience expectations are such that they will let you, where before they wouldn’t have the patience. I think only the surface has been touched with experimenting with that.”
~ David Cronenberg