Kaus On Goldstein

Quoting Kaus’ entire citation
That’s how I feel about sex! The LAT’s Patrick Goldstein attacks Oscar prediction blogging, then produces the Buried Weasel Graf of the Week:
Full disclosure: I write an Oscar prediction column too, but I do it once a year, not 47 times a week.
Goldstein adds, “without getting into the Academy Award prediction business full-time, I may be doing an Oscar podcast in the near future too.” … That’s OK. Go ahead, do it full-time! As long as you let us know you’d really rather “wrestle with questions about what our movies say about America today.” God help us.
… P.S.: Hollywood is an isolated subculture populated by quirky egomaniacs, and movies have long lead times. They are lousy barometers of “America today.” Indeed, wrestling with “what movies say about America today” is usually just a disingenuous, intellectually flattering, week-in-reviewish way of writing about glamorous stars and directors and attracting lucrative movie ads. At least Oscar handicappers are open and straightforward about what they’re doing. … 5:55 P.M.

11 Responses to “Kaus On Goldstein”

1. BluStealer says:

Talk about a self important writer. Trying to disparage DP even as he writes about his Oscar column. Maybe deep down he knows he can’t compete with Dave on it.

2. Bruce says:

I’d hate the prediction game too if I picked a turkey like Jarhead.

3. Terence D says:

Goldstein seems to hate “the oscar prediction” thing yet can’t help himself from trying to do it. So he has to take a few shots at the leader of the industry along the way. Childish, immature. For sure. Seen right thru? Yes.

4. Mark Ziegler says:

What’s wrong with doing a prediction column all year long? Obviously, there is a strong market for it.

5. jeffmcm says:

That last paragraph is a pretty weak rationalization for being lazy and intellectually undemanding. It’s okay to ignore “America today” because everyone _else_ is a self-centered celebrity chaser. Might as well report on box office numbers.

6. jeffmcm says:

Not Mark’s paragraph…the one up top.

7. ManWithNoName says:

I generally read a lot about the industry. Does it mean anything that I have never once heard of Patrick Goldstein in my life until Dave’s column, but visit MCN and THB every day??

8. joefitz84 says:

Saying everyone is ” a self centered media chaser” is just a weak generalization. I’m sure if this Goldstein guy just wrote on what he wanted to everyday(like Dave does) he wouldn’t be pissy and have to worry about anything.
    What is stopping him from writing about what he wants to?

9. Richard Nash says:

Goldstein is just proving himself to be a hack who is scared of playing in a new arena with new rules.

10. KamikazeCamelV2.0 says:

“At least Oscar handicappers are open and straightforward about what they’re doing.”
    And that’s what this guy doesn’t understand. We like it, it’s fun. Why shouldn’t we be allowed to obsess over whether Keira Knightley will or won’t get nominated. Or whether Munich will or won’t win Best Picture. Or whether Woody Allen’s Match Point is or isn’t the big return.
    It’s fun. And it also adds something to movie watching. It really does make me at least pay more attention to subtle things.

11. Chucky in Jersey says:

Oscar handicappers are hacks with nothing better to do.
    Last month Fark.com linked to a story [from Canada] about the Oscar Jinx. Google for Oscar jinx — the story may still be around.

“What Quibi trying to do is get to the next generation of film narrative. The first generation was movies, and they were principally two-hour stories that were designed to be watched in a single sitting in a movie theater [ED: After formats like the nickelodeon]. The next generation of film narrative was television, principally designed to be watched in one-hour chapters in front of a television set. I believe the third generation of film narrative will be a merging of those two ideas, which is to tell two-hour stories in chapters that are seven to ten minutes in length. We are actually doing long-form in bite-size.”
~ Jeffrey Katzenberg

“The important thing is: what makes the audience interested in it? Of course, I don’t take on any roles that don’t interest me, or where I can’t find anything for myself in it. But I don’t like talking about that. If you go into a restaurant and you have been served an exquisite meal, you don’t need to know how the chef felt, or when he chose the vegetables on the market. I always feel a little like I would pull the rug out from under myself if I were to I speak about the background of my work. My explanations would come into conflict with the reason a movie is made in the first place — for the experience of the audience — and that, I would not want.
~  Christoph Waltz