Finally, A Full Movie Weekend

What are you going to see?
A History of Violence
Daltry Calhoun
Dear Wendy
Flightplan
In Her Shoes
Oliver Twist
Proof
Roll Bounce
Tim Burton’s The Corpse Bride

30 Responses to “Finally, A Full Movie Weekend”

1. JBM... says:

Probably Flightplan, definitely A History of Violence next weekend. But there are so many decent-looking films from weeks past that I haven’t seen (Transporter 2, Four Brothers, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Lord of War, etc.) — I may have to spend an entire weekend at the theater.

2. KamikazeCamelV2.0 says:

If I lived in the states I would probably be seeing Flightplan AND Corpse Bride. And I’d leave In Her Shoes for a weeknight when we have nothing to do.
    I don’t think any of my friends would be interested in History of Violence so I’d see that by myself somewhere down the line. Same for Proof, although I’m sure someone would come see that with me.
    I ain’t interested in Polanski’s Oliver Twist or Roll Bounce and I haven’t even heard of the other two. You’re lucky bastards!!!

3. bicycle bob says:

u can definately live without seeing transporter, 4 brothers and emily rose. u can wait for video.

4. Stella's Boy says:

Flightplan is awful. Possibly most ludicrous twist I have ever seen. I can’t believe Foster agreed to do this movie. If Ebert really thinks this one has an “airtight plot,” he has officially gone insane. More improbabilities than 10 summer action movies. There aren’t enough adjectives to describe how bad it is.

5. Bruce says:

Count me in for Violence this weekend. Looking forward to it.

6. Josh Massey says:

The only one I will definitely see in theaters is “A History of Violence.”

7. iowabeef says:

I already saw Corpse Bride at a preview. I was amazed at how awful it was. And I really liked Nightmare Before Christmas and most other Burton movies. The animation is pretty of course, but the plot is nothing more than a barebones story treatment and it tries to be a musical with really awful music. I can’t remember a single song from it. On the other hand, I was extremely surprised at how much I loved Proof and Gwenyth’s performance.

8. ZacharyTF says:

None of the above. I’ll be seeing Office Space at a theater’s midnight showing tonight. :)

9. Nicol D says:

I have to help a friend move this week-end so a I won’t be able to go. If I was I would opt for Violence or Corpse Bride.
    I initially wanted to see FlightPlan for Jodie who is great but after reading much…it does seem like dreck.
    I also haven’t seen Emily Rose yet which methinks is probably an example of a film that is much better than most critics are giving it credit for…sometimes you can just tell.

10. EDouglas says:

This is the first weekend in a long time where I’ve seen all of the movies literally weeks ago. The last one of those listed I saw was Flightplan on the 8th. (Okay, not true, I saw History of Violence again yesterday.) I’d probably see Roll Bounce or In Her Shoes again if dragged into a theatre.

11. White Label says:

Well, History of Violence isn’t out in Minneapolis this weekend. So probably Flightplan or corpse bride

12. cullen says:

thought I’d mention it, but FIGHT CLUB is the midnight movie this Sat night at The Rialto in Pasadena.
    I will definitley see History of Violece this weekend…the reviews lead me to believe it’s a masterpiece. I wouldn’t mind seeing Lord of War again as well…

13. Goulet says:

I’m going to see A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE… again. Saw it on Monday and I’m still reeling. Best movie of the year as far as I’m concerned.

14. Wrecktum says:

Flightplan is NOT a bad movie. For the first four reels it’s a pretty damn good, taut thriller. The acting is excellent and I was very impressed with the direction. I think that German dude has quite a future.
    Unfortunately, the last act does fall apart. But not so badly that the film cannot be recommended.

15. cullen says:

It certainly looks stylish…it just feels like a pg-13 retread of Panic Room, which is probably a much better movie. I will still see it though, as I like Foster and I am curious to see how it’s directed. The supporting cast is all likeable as well. But my expectations are low.

16. Stella's Boy says:

Flightplan isn’t bad. It is worse than bad. For an hour it is OK, but certainly not anything special.

17. Joe Leydon says:

Theaters will be closed this weekend in Houston, the country’s fourth-largest city. Wonder if that will impact b.o. numbers.

18. Mark Ziegler says:

Also should be a nice late summer weekend in the northeast. Could be a factor.
    Question. Why is Jodie Foster doing these types of movies?

19. EDouglas says:

That’s so funny..I was hating Flightplan for most of the movie until the last act where we finally got some action. Wasn’t too shaken by the twist, to be honest.

20. Chucky in Jersey says:

Tomorrow: “The Constant Gardener”.
    Tuesday night: “The Aristocrats” at the Regal Union Square in Manhattan. I’ve wanted to see it but work, weather or other hassles kept me.
    “A History of Violence” opens in top-10 markets today and goes national on 9/30. New Line is aiming it upmarket/arthouse because of Cronenberg.
    National B.O. will be affected. Southeast Texas (not just Houston) and all of Louisiana are shut down by Rita.

21. PandaBear says:

Could be one of my last weekends without the wetsuit. Which is sad in and of itself.
    Violence. Yes.
    Flightplan. No.
    Proof. No.
    Oliver Twist. Maybe in a few weeks.

22. Joe Straat says:

Caught a matinee of Flightplan. Typical good thriller that’s not “about” anything. Unfortunately, like all good thrillers that aren’t really about anything but being good thrillers, the answers are unsatisfying and it takes awhile after the disappointment lingers to get back into it, but it’s still a good movie. Glad I didn’t pay all $9.75, but good.

23. joefitz84 says:

I’m interested to see how well Flightplan does. Maybe Jodie Foster will act more if it brings in a ton of money the opening weekend.
    I’m probably waiting for dvd though.

24. KamikazeCamelV2.0 says:

The main reason for wanting to see Flightplan is because of Jodie. a 5 minute cameo in A Very Long Engagement just isn’t enough between major drinks.
    Besides, I don’t think Flightplan is pretending to be anything but escapist thriller fun.
    I know it won’t be better than Panic Room, but that’s extremely hard considering Panic Room is one of the best thrillers of the last few years.
    I’m really looking forward to A History of Violence.

25. JBM... says:

>>> Surely you can survive without seeing Transporter 2, Four Brothers and Emily Rose in the cinema.
    I haven’t seen a movie since July, and that was The Island. I need to cleanse my palate.
    Took today off and saw A History of Violence. Stunning; best this year as far as I’m concerned.

26. JBM... says:

Wow, someone above said “Best this year as far as I’m concerned” about Violence too. Huh.
    In Her Shoes looks godawful. Is it okay to feel sorry for Toni Collette after Connie and Carla?

27. MattM says:

Friday:
    Flightplan–8.5
    Corpse Bride–6.6
    Just Like Heaven–3.2
    Emily Rose–2.4
    Roll Bounce–2.3
    Lord of War–1.5
    40YOV–1.3
    Cry Wolf–.7
    Constant Gardener–.6
    Transporter 2–.6
    Also, it seems like almost every In Her Shoes sneak in Manhattan is sold out. At least Union and Lincoln Square are.

28. KamikazeCamelV2.0 says:

In Her Shoes is shaping up to be a pretty decent success. Shirley MacLaine is sitting pretty for an Oscar nod methinks.

29. ETVB says:

Definately A History Of Violence!!! I was under the weather last weekend and couldn’t go. I love the trailer, I hope it lives up to all of my expectations. Eric

30. Angelus21 says:

I’ve seen Shirley McLaine in this role twenty times it seems.

Leonard Klady's Friday Estimates