Can You Discuss Violence Seriously & Show It At the Same Time?

The Hot Button today

17 Responses to “Can You Discuss Violence Seriously & Show It At the Same Time?”

1. Angelus21 says:

Violence is a part of life. You can definately talk about it and show it.

2. Joe Leydon says:

Francois Truffaut once stated that he genuinely believed there could never really be an anti-war film, because as soon as you film something — like violence — you somehow, by the very act of chosing to film it, indicate approval of it. I don’t entirely agree, but there IS a very fine line between responsible dramatization and inadvertent (or deliberate) exploitation.

3. Angelus21 says:

Look at video games. Some of those new ones are ridiculous. Shooting cops? Pimping out ho’s? Fun to play? Sure. But responsible? No.

4. jeffmcm says:

To elaborate on Mr. Leydon said, the more elaborate violence in an anti-violence movie like Fight Club or Clockwork Orange or Saving Private Ryan, the more thrilling the artistry is and therefore the experience becomes enjoyable. It’s a bizarre paradox but I still believe that a depiction of something horrible can hold more value than to avoid the debate altogether.

5. KamikazeCamelV2.0 says:

Aww, you mentioned one of my all-time faves, All That Jazz.
    I am happy now.
    Anyway.
    What do people expect? A movie about violence that just has people sitting around discussing violence?
    …? Man, that’d be thrilling, non?

6. Bruce says:

Who doesn’t want to see some all out violence sometimes? That’s what movies are. Escapism. And sometimes a violent movie is enjoyable to watch. I am old enough not to want to see a message when I see something.

7. jeffmcm says:

So the question of whether movies should confront an issue is irrelevant to Bruce?
    I think that ‘messages’ as you put it are equally repellent no matter your age. Unless you’re really old, on the verge of death.

8. Bruce says:

Jeffrey all issues are irrelevant to me. I just want to be entertained. I don’t need to be preached at by filmmakers that don’t have half a clue what they’re talking about anyway. Unless you count violence as being Dungeons and Dragons.

9. jeffmcm says:

Cool! Good to know. Someone will be in to rape your wife and burn your house later today.

10. Josh says:

If we didn’t have liberal laws we wouldn’t have to worry about rapists and murderers and child molestors and gangs. But you can always rehabilitate these people right, jeff???? They deserve six, seven, eight chances at life. Open your hearts.

11. jeffmcm says:

Huh? All I know is, Bruce is complacent. Don’t bother him.

12. Mark Ziegler says:

Jeff wants to rape women and burn down houses. Thats Liberal compassion.

13. jeffmcm says:

Yes. That is exactly what I meant.

14. Mark Ziegler says:

This is what happens when you don’t have faith and values. You end up like Jeff here.

15. jeffmcm says:

I have faith in you, Mark. You never disappoint.

16. joefitz84 says:

Watch out, Mark. He may try to rape you and then blame “society”.

17. Sanchez says:

Jeff is known to like long distance shots because hes too scared to get in close and get the kill. He’s yellow.

“Don’t work with assholes. Ever. No matter what they’re offering, no matter what they bring to the table. If they’re the sort of person where the phone rings at 10 o’clock at night and you wince because you see that it’s them, then don’t do business with them. One asshole will ruin your life. I’ve managed my entire TV and filmmaking career to work with people I like and respect. If the point comes where I don’t like or respect someone, I don’t work with them anymore.”

– Anthony Bourdain

The Atlantic: You saw that the Academy Awards recently held up your 2001 acceptance speech as the Platonic ideal of an Oscar speech. Did you have a reaction?

Soderbergh: Shock and dismay. When that popped up and people started texting me about it, I said, “Oh, it’s too bad I’m not there to tell the story of how that took place.” Well. I was not sober at the time. And I had nothing prepared because I knew I wasn’t going to win [Best Director for Traffic]. I figured Ridley, Ang or Daldry would win. So I was hitting the bar pretty hard, having a great night, feeling super-relaxed because I don’t have to get up there. So the combination of a 0.4 blood alcohol level and lack of preparation resulted in me, in my state of drunkenness crossed with adrenaline surge. I was coherent enough to know that [if I tried to thank everyone], that way lies destruction. So I went the other way. There were some people who appreciated that, and there were some people who really wanted to hear their names said, and I had to apologize to them.
~ Steven Soderbergh