A.O. Krazy

Here is A.O. Scott’s piece on why we should be reading political subtext into Just Like Heaven and The Exorcism of Emily Rose.
My read? Put down the pipe, Tony. I know that every molecule of our body could be, like, an entire universe and we could just be one atom in the body of a giant… but dude, you need to mellow that harsh.

10 Responses to “A.O. Krazy”

1. Angelus21 says:

Not every movie is a political statement. They’re movies. They’re meant to entertain first. If they fail that then whatever they do won’t matter.

2. mutinyco says:

Critics not using psychotropic substances would be like having to eat matzoh all year round instead of just one week. Bread needs moisture. The best enhanced criticism ever is Amy Taubin’s assessment on the Reservoir Dogs DVD — where she claims it’s really about a masochistic love story between Mr. Orange and Mr. White, and since Orange is bleeding he’s the female.

3. Heiron says:

David’s well-played snark aside, when Scott claims the studios “have tried to strengthen their connection with religious and social conservatives,” is this something that’s happening? Or even significant?
    And on a separate tack, what ARE some of the great undiscovered subtexts of our favorite flicks? I keep telling people the hallway hues of “Napoleon Dynamite” are eerily reminiscent of the colors of Alfred Nobel’s summer villa on Elba, and they keep telling me I’m an idiot.

4. Joe Leydon says:

Godard once claimed that EVERY film is a political act. Indeed, if a film doesn’t make any explicit political statement, then it is implicitly supporting the status quo. That’s a bit extreme, I’ll grant you. But is interesting to see how seemingly innocuous films of a bygone era — even something as frothy as “Pillow Talk” — can be more revealing and enlightening than most historical or anthropological overviews of the period

5. Crow T Robot says:

And yes, Speilberg seems to be on a 9/11 tear with “The Terminal,” “War of the Worlds” and now “Munich.”
    I sure do miss Bill Clinton.

6. jeffmcm says:

Joe L., you’re completely correct. It’s the least self-conscious movies that are often the most revealing, like an innocuous dream that reveals a patient’s subconscious.
    Thanks to Dave P for attempting to keep the dialogue at a less interesting, dumber level. Scott makes some really good points and doesn’t say anything that crazy, in my opinion.

7. Stella's Boy says:

I agree jeff. I kept waiting for Scott to say something really out there, but it all seems perfectly reasonable and accurate to me.

8. joefitz84 says:

Jeff thinks its a big right wing conspiracy. They control everything. They made hurricanes!!! Earthquakes!!! Poverty!!! Hold onto your hats!

9. KamikazeCamelV2.0 says:

Not to get into a Spielberg debate again, I found it extremely odd that he decided to make War of the Worlds a very Politically minded film whereas The Terminal, which by all rights should have been more of one, was left as a frothy rom-com with Tom Hanks doing a funny accent.
    It wouldn’t be hard to find 9/11 and WW2 parallels in War of the Worlds though. It’s not like they’re subtle or anything

10. lindenen says:

“I don’t know… Ghost Whisperer… My Name Is Earl… even the Dukes of Hazzard movie… I’m certainly seeing a leaning to the red states recently.”
    I haven’t seen Ghost Whisperer, but the other two only lean toward the red in so much as they depict red-staters as knuckle-dragging morons.

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier