A.O. Krazy

Here is A.O. Scott’s piece on why we should be reading political subtext into Just Like Heaven and The Exorcism of Emily Rose.
My read? Put down the pipe, Tony. I know that every molecule of our body could be, like, an entire universe and we could just be one atom in the body of a giant… but dude, you need to mellow that harsh.

10 Responses to “A.O. Krazy”

1. Angelus21 says:

Not every movie is a political statement. They’re movies. They’re meant to entertain first. If they fail that then whatever they do won’t matter.

2. mutinyco says:

Critics not using psychotropic substances would be like having to eat matzoh all year round instead of just one week. Bread needs moisture. The best enhanced criticism ever is Amy Taubin’s assessment on the Reservoir Dogs DVD — where she claims it’s really about a masochistic love story between Mr. Orange and Mr. White, and since Orange is bleeding he’s the female.

3. Heiron says:

David’s well-played snark aside, when Scott claims the studios “have tried to strengthen their connection with religious and social conservatives,” is this something that’s happening? Or even significant?
    And on a separate tack, what ARE some of the great undiscovered subtexts of our favorite flicks? I keep telling people the hallway hues of “Napoleon Dynamite” are eerily reminiscent of the colors of Alfred Nobel’s summer villa on Elba, and they keep telling me I’m an idiot.

4. Joe Leydon says:

Godard once claimed that EVERY film is a political act. Indeed, if a film doesn’t make any explicit political statement, then it is implicitly supporting the status quo. That’s a bit extreme, I’ll grant you. But is interesting to see how seemingly innocuous films of a bygone era — even something as frothy as “Pillow Talk” — can be more revealing and enlightening than most historical or anthropological overviews of the period

5. Crow T Robot says:

And yes, Speilberg seems to be on a 9/11 tear with “The Terminal,” “War of the Worlds” and now “Munich.”
    I sure do miss Bill Clinton.

6. jeffmcm says:

Joe L., you’re completely correct. It’s the least self-conscious movies that are often the most revealing, like an innocuous dream that reveals a patient’s subconscious.
    Thanks to Dave P for attempting to keep the dialogue at a less interesting, dumber level. Scott makes some really good points and doesn’t say anything that crazy, in my opinion.

7. Stella's Boy says:

I agree jeff. I kept waiting for Scott to say something really out there, but it all seems perfectly reasonable and accurate to me.

8. joefitz84 says:

Jeff thinks its a big right wing conspiracy. They control everything. They made hurricanes!!! Earthquakes!!! Poverty!!! Hold onto your hats!

9. KamikazeCamelV2.0 says:

Not to get into a Spielberg debate again, I found it extremely odd that he decided to make War of the Worlds a very Politically minded film whereas The Terminal, which by all rights should have been more of one, was left as a frothy rom-com with Tom Hanks doing a funny accent.
    It wouldn’t be hard to find 9/11 and WW2 parallels in War of the Worlds though. It’s not like they’re subtle or anything

10. lindenen says:

“I don’t know… Ghost Whisperer… My Name Is Earl… even the Dukes of Hazzard movie… I’m certainly seeing a leaning to the red states recently.”
    I haven’t seen Ghost Whisperer, but the other two only lean toward the red in so much as they depict red-staters as knuckle-dragging morons.

Hcat on: BYO Keanu

movieman on: BYO Keanu

Sideshow Bill on: BYO Keanu

Triple Option on: BYO Keanu

Triple Option on: BYO Keanu

leahnz on: BYO Summertime Blues

movieman on: BYO Keanu

Serg on: BYO Keanu

Hcat on: BYO Keanu

BO Sock Puppet on: BYO Keanu

“With any character, the way I think about it is, you have the role on the page, you have the vision of the director and you have your life experience… I thought it was one of the foundations of the role for John Wick. I love his grief. For the character and in life, it’s about the love of the person you’re grieving for, and any time you can keep company with that fire, it is warm. I absolutely relate to that, and I don’t think you ever work through it. Grief and loss, those are things that don’t ever go away. They stay with you.”
~ Keanu Reeves

“I was checking through stuff the other day for technical reasons. I came across The Duellists on Netflix and I was absolutely stunned to see that it was exquisitely graded. So, while I rarely look up my old stuff, I stopped to give it ten minutes. Bugger me, I was there for two hours. I was really fucking pleased with what it was and how the engine still worked within the equation and that engine was the insanity and stupidity of war. War between two men, in that case, who fight on thought they both eventually can’t remember the reason why. It was great, yeah. The great thing about these platforms now is that, one way or another, they’ll seek out and then put out the best possible form and the long form. Frequently, films get cut down because of that curse in which the studio felt or feels that they have to preview. And there’s nothing worse than a preview to diminish the original intent.Oh, yeah, how about every fucking time? And I’ve stewed about films later even more because when you tell the same joke 20 times the joke’s no longer funny. When you tell a bad joke once or twice? It’s fine. But come on, now. Here’s the key on the way I feel when I approach the movie: I try to keep myself as withdrawn from the project as possible once I’ve filmed it. And – this is all key on this – then getting a really excellent editor so I never have to sit in on editing. What happens if you sit in is you become stale and every passage or joke, metaphorically speaking, gets more and more tired. You start cutting it all back because of fatigue. So what you have to do is keep your distance and therefore, in a funny kind of way, you, as the director, should be the preview and that’s it.”
~ Sir Ridley Scott