What Deadwood Is to Cursing

Rome is to graphic sex… endless, graphic nudity and sex.
Remember when Polly Walker was just sexy? Now we’ll all be expecting her and her 40something implants to have sex with a live animal by episode 3.
How can she not? Her first appearance in the show is fully front, mid-fornication, followed by a bad, followed by being covering in animal blood in a see through frock… oy yoy yoy yoy yoy…
I can’t decide if this show is actually good… but man, it is the raunchiest thing I’ve seen on TV for a while.

29 Responses to “What Deadwood Is to Cursing”

1. Wrecktum says:

I’ll give Rome one more week, but it’d better get good stat, or I’m outta here.

2. Chester says:

Those didn’t look like implants to me.
    The show so far is pretty good in a “Gladiator” sort of way. It’s not necessarily great art or history, but it’s quite entertaining.
    Seems like it’s pretty hard around here to get the regulars too excited about any TV show that doesn’t set out to break the Guinness record for use of the word “cocksucker.” The thing I love about HBO shows is that almost all of them reward patience. Even critically trashed stuff like “Carnivale” and “The Comeback” paid off nice dividends to loyal viewers. The only out-and-out crap IMHO has been “Mind of the Married Man” and “K Street.”

3. jeffmcm says:

Who is this Polly Walker? I looked her up on IMDB and none of her credits were familiar to me. Patriot Games?

4. Chester says:

She was an up-and-comer about 10 years ago. But she never quite up and came.

5. Chester says:

Regarding “Patriot Games,” if you remember the movie, she was the red-headed terrorist (her hair color was a minor plot detail at one point in the story).

6. bicycle bob says:

for 100 mill they sure got there sexual moneys worth.

7. Krazy Eyes says:

I thought ROME was pretty good. I’m certainly looking forward to watching the remainder of the series.
    Yeah, there was a lot of sex and nudity, and I guess for primetime HBO is was a little excessive, but it was nothing compared to your average episode of Real Sex or Cathouse.

8. Bruce says:

Deadwood is a much better show. Granted Rome will need some time to develop and hit its stride. But it has a lot to live up to.

9. Josh says:

I’ll have to catch a viewing tonight. The reviews are mixed so far but what do they know?

10. cullen says:

as usual, HBO nailed another series perfectly…what’s in the water over there? It’s not DEADWOOD yet (but what is?) but it got off to a great start last night and looks like it will get better and better. Great acting, smart writing, lots of nudity and sex and some nice violence…HBO never has to shy away from what makes tv edgy and dark and for that I am thankful.

11. BluStealer says:

Is anyone surprised that HBO has another good series? I guess after The Comeback people are within their rights to doubt them.

12. knowitall says:

Boy I disagree about Mind of the Married Man. I thought it was completely overlooked and should have made it. That show had more watercooler talk at work than anything I’ve ever seen. It pushed all the buttons and I think the critics missed it. Rome is something that feels like as much money as they spent it’s a bad version of Iclaudius. I’ve seen this before.
    I aso happen to think Entourage has gotten brilliant.

13. Krazy Eyes says:

While I did like “Rome” I understand the criticisms leveled at “The Comeback.” It’s got all the squirmy bits from Curb your Enthusiasm and Larry Sanders but none of the funny ones. I watched the first 4-5 episodes and never really liked any of them. Has it gotten better?
    What’s the buzz on the new Ricky Gervais show starting in September. No nothing about it other than the promo before Rome.

14. Krazy Eyes says:

sigh . . . that would be “know.” I need another a.m. coffee.

15. PandaBear says:

HBO does drama very well. It is the standard.
    But comedy? The only one they have done thats good is Entourage. And Dream On. Great for gratutious nudity.

16. Jerri says:

It’d still be boring if it’s endless violence (torture and chopping limbs off)and graphic sex (fine, but give us women something to look at because it ain’t fair to just show naked women full frontal, men should be too)and animal sacrifices. If the story doesn’t become more interesting I’m outta here. “I, Claudius” is still the gold standard, IMO.

17. Terence D says:

You can’t even attempt to compare this to I Claudius. It isn’t possible. It is not even in the same ballpark or area code.

18. Wrecktum says:

The problem with Rome is that it’s such a tired rehash that, unless it’s got a few surprises up its sleeve, there’s no way it can gain momentum.
    We’ve seen Roman debauchery before. We’ve seen Roman political intrigue. Roman battle scenes. It’s all been done. To death.
    If you’re going to give us the umpteeth story of the rise and fall of Julius Caeser, it’d better have little green aliens or mutant werebears or SOMETHING to pull it out of the same-ol-same-ol.

19. Jerry Colvin says:

Polly Walker was one of the stars of my favorite movie not yet available on DVD: Enchanted April

20. Terence D says:

Polly Walker is eating this over the top acting gig up. Nothing beats when a good looking actress really sinks her teeth into a role and chews on the scenery.

21. PetalumaFilms says:

PandaBear- there’s a really funny show on HBO called CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM as well. Maybe you’ve heard of it?
    I’m glad ROME is good, but I missed it last night. ENTOURAGE was fricking AWESOME. HenryHill said it on another entry about it being the best 1/2 hour of TV this year and he’s right. I was blown away by that episode!

22. Bruce says:

The list of great half hour comedies the past year is shorter than Jeremy Pivens hairline.

23. BluStealer says:

Kevin Dillon deserves a best supporting actor award for Entourage. He is really great.

24. PetalumaFilms says:

I agree with both of you guys. The 1/2 comedy has taken a turn for the worse in general. But even if it were the Seinfeld/Friends era, ENTOURAGE would still be way up there. Kevin Dillon and Jeremy Piven both deserve Emmy’s or Golden Globes. Dillon’s Johnny Drama is almost a lock for 3 genuine laughs a week now. The show has really hit it’s stride.

25. Mark Ziegler says:

The Comeback is painful to watch.

26. Cadavra says:

It’s difficult to believe two people are having sex when the woman’s pubic hair is clearly visible brushing up against the man’s navel…

27. oldman says:

Maybe the horse trader was built like a horse? (snicker) ok, ok… moving on

28. joefitz84 says:

It is going to need to grow on me but with HBO I give the benefit of the doubt.

movieman on: BYOBlog