Great V-sar's Ghost!

James Purefoy, the guy playing Marc Antony in HBO’s new show, Rome, is the guy who ended up being let go from the role of V, replaced by Hugo Weaving, in V for Vendetta.

12 Responses to “Great V-sar's Ghost!”

1. Sanchez says:

After watching Rome, the only question I got is Why?

2. cullen says:

Purefoy is an excellent actor…and as usual HBO knocked another show totally out of the park with Rome. I bet when V for Vendetta comes out next March and BOMBS, he’ll be happy he was removed from the movie.

3. joefitz84 says:

V will not be a bomb. It has too good a pedigree for a bomb.

4. cullen says:

nobody will want to see a movie where the main character is a terrorist bomber and the trailer looks like nothing more than re-hashed action ideas from the matrix and every other comic book movie/graphic novel adaptation. i don’t know…i just don’t see anyone getting excited for this movie other than fans of the comic.

5. Eric says:

I agree with Cullen, I don’t see a bright future for V for Vendetta. There’s just not enough brains behind the movie to make it the first successful Alan Moore adaptation.
    I’ve got to disagree with you, Joe, if the pedigree you’re referring to is the Wachowskis. I was wholly disenchanted by the final Matrix film. I do believe they can do sterling work, but their involvement is no guarantor of quality.

6. jeffmcm says:

People will be perfectly happy to see V for Vendetta given that it’s not a film about a terrorist bomber…it’s a film about a freedom fighter who happens to set bombs. Semantics is everything.
    That said, Matrix Revolutions will have turned a lot of people against the Wachowskis.

7. cullen says:

and the wachowski’s didn’t direct it…the 1st AD from the matrix trilogy is the “director”…

8. RP says:

Speaking of “Rome,” how ’bout a round of applause for Polly Walker! :) Two thumbs…er…OK, thumbs, up!

9. PandaBear says:

I thought Polly overacted. Bad.
    I hope it stay on for a while so we can see Octavian grow up and be the leader he is.

10. lazarus says:

If James Purefoy is playing Marc Antony, who is playing J-Lo?
    sorry.

11. bicycle bob says:

hopefully it doesn’t bomb worse than that last joke.

12. Terence D says:

I think Hugo Weaving has a better voice for the role of V.

“What Quibi trying to do is get to the next generation of film narrative. The first generation was movies, and they were principally two-hour stories that were designed to be watched in a single sitting in a movie theater [ED: After formats like the nickelodeon]. The next generation of film narrative was television, principally designed to be watched in one-hour chapters in front of a television set. I believe the third generation of film narrative will be a merging of those two ideas, which is to tell two-hour stories in chapters that are seven to ten minutes in length. We are actually doing long-form in bite-size.”
~ Jeffrey Katzenberg

“The important thing is: what makes the audience interested in it? Of course, I don’t take on any roles that don’t interest me, or where I can’t find anything for myself in it. But I don’t like talking about that. If you go into a restaurant and you have been served an exquisite meal, you don’t need to know how the chef felt, or when he chose the vegetables on the market. I always feel a little like I would pull the rug out from under myself if I were to I speak about the background of my work. My explanations would come into conflict with the reason a movie is made in the first place — for the experience of the audience — and that, I would not want.
~  Christoph Waltz