Great V-sar's Ghost!

James Purefoy, the guy playing Marc Antony in HBO’s new show, Rome, is the guy who ended up being let go from the role of V, replaced by Hugo Weaving, in V for Vendetta.

12 Responses to “Great V-sar's Ghost!”

1. Sanchez says:

After watching Rome, the only question I got is Why?

2. cullen says:

Purefoy is an excellent actor…and as usual HBO knocked another show totally out of the park with Rome. I bet when V for Vendetta comes out next March and BOMBS, he’ll be happy he was removed from the movie.

3. joefitz84 says:

V will not be a bomb. It has too good a pedigree for a bomb.

4. cullen says:

nobody will want to see a movie where the main character is a terrorist bomber and the trailer looks like nothing more than re-hashed action ideas from the matrix and every other comic book movie/graphic novel adaptation. i don’t know…i just don’t see anyone getting excited for this movie other than fans of the comic.

5. Eric says:

I agree with Cullen, I don’t see a bright future for V for Vendetta. There’s just not enough brains behind the movie to make it the first successful Alan Moore adaptation.
    I’ve got to disagree with you, Joe, if the pedigree you’re referring to is the Wachowskis. I was wholly disenchanted by the final Matrix film. I do believe they can do sterling work, but their involvement is no guarantor of quality.

6. jeffmcm says:

People will be perfectly happy to see V for Vendetta given that it’s not a film about a terrorist bomber…it’s a film about a freedom fighter who happens to set bombs. Semantics is everything.
    That said, Matrix Revolutions will have turned a lot of people against the Wachowskis.

7. cullen says:

and the wachowski’s didn’t direct it…the 1st AD from the matrix trilogy is the “director”…

8. RP says:

Speaking of “Rome,” how ’bout a round of applause for Polly Walker! :) Two thumbs…er…OK, thumbs, up!

9. PandaBear says:

I thought Polly overacted. Bad.
    I hope it stay on for a while so we can see Octavian grow up and be the leader he is.

10. lazarus says:

If James Purefoy is playing Marc Antony, who is playing J-Lo?
    sorry.

11. bicycle bob says:

hopefully it doesn’t bomb worse than that last joke.

12. Terence D says:

I think Hugo Weaving has a better voice for the role of V.

~ Hideo Kojima

“They’re still talking about the ‘cathedral of cinema,’ the ‘communal experience,’ blah blah. The experiences I’ve had recently in the theatre have not been good. There’s commercials, noise, cellphones. I was watching Colette at the Varsity, and halfway through red flashes came up at the bottom of the frame. A woman came out and said, ‘We’re going to have to reboot, so take fifteen minutes and come back.’ Then they rebooted it from the beginning, and she had to ask the audience to tell her how far to go. You tell me, is that a great experience? I generally don’t watch movies in a cinema at all. Netflix is the future. It’s the present. But the whole paradigm of a series, binge-watching, it’s quite different. My first reaction is that it’s more novelistic, because if you have an eight-hour season, you can get into complex, intricate things. You can let it breathe and the audience expectations are such that they will let you, where before they wouldn’t have the patience. I think only the surface has been touched with experimenting with that.”
~ David Cronenberg