How NOT To Make Any Money On A Hollywood Blockbuster

Slate has apparently assigned Edward Jay Epstein the Hot Button beat. And this piece on German tax breaks is interesting. It’s not really accurate, but it is interesting.
The impression of the piece is that other countries essentially pay for the entire production of films budgets over $80 million out of vanity. The reality, which he forces you to unearth in his “lead with what sounds cool” writing is that $65 million on Tomb Raider was, according to him, pre-sold to the six largest action markets outside of the U.S. and Australia. According to his numbers, $10 million came from the German tax deal and another $12 million for shooting in the U.K. That left Paramount’s bill at $7 million, which they covered by pre-selling to Showtime… a cable network owned by Viacom and in the case of a huge success, a win that could make production partners angry to the point of litigation (see: Lord of the Rings).
What Epstein fails to mention in all this is that this strategy put, in some part, the last regime at Paramount on the street. More than half of Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

8 Responses to “How NOT To Make Any Money On A Hollywood Blockbuster”

1. hatchling says:

Reading about the financing complications makes my head hurt. All I know is, last night Tomb Raider was on cable. I hadn’t seen it, so watched it for a bit. I absolutely hated it, turned it off and felt much relieved.
    I bet the studios wish they could hand off a dog like that so easily.
    Instead of forcing myself to endure the pneumantic lips of Jolie [which seem to be a screen character all to themselves], I put my DVD of Sideways into the player and listened to the accompanying commentary by the stars. It was a hoot. Terrific, entertaining film. I hope everyone involved with Sideways made a lot of money and will decide to put more money into films of it’s quality and originality. It’s so simple when you look at financing in those terms.

2. teambanzai says:

I know this is probably a simplistic and stupid point, but it seems to me that if they actually put some effort into the script and made a good action movie that people want to see over and over then they wouldn’t have to play these games. Both TombRaider movies were crap, and Paramount must have smelled it since they didn’t bother putting much of their own money into it. It just seems to me that this type of financial mess is a bigger gamble then risking their own money on a solid script.

3. Christopher Brooks says:

Excellent, excellent piece. Epstein’s piece explains how the detestable “Lara Croft” could produced by a big studio, and the post explains why it wasn’t nearly as successful as Epstein’s dated numbers might make it appear. (This is a big problem with books purporting to give an insider perspective on Hollywood: By the time they appear, they’re usually passe.) But one note of caution should be injected: yes, “The Day After Tomorrow” can be compared with “Lara Croft” in that they were both big, bad movies that played well overseas. But “The Day After Tomorrow,” although lousy, was a different kettle of fish: not based on a pre-existing property, and not built on star casting. The special effects were terrific, yes, but maybe too this was a story people actually wanted to see. Imagine how big it could have been if it had actually been a good movie.

4. JJ says:

“But for one thing, he should have used a case that wasn

I celebrate smart blog readers.

6. Mark says:

I still believe there is a really good movie in the Lara Croft story somewhere. Maybe when they actually write a coherent script and take a chance on a good director.

7. Dan R% says:

I hated the first Lara Croft movie. I wanted my money back, my time back and my dignity back.
    The second I watched because…I have no idea actually. I must have seen it for free. I didn’t mind it though. Which I guess is because the first had set my expectations so low. I’ll never watch either again though. That’s for sure.
    I’d be curious to know where this really good movie would come from though. I haven’t played much of the game but it does seem pretty simplistic.

8. KamikazeCamel says:

…”and my dignity back”
    My god, hyperbole runs rampant in the replies of this blog, doesn’t it.

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump