Sony Summer Dates

The Lords Of Dogtown –  6/10
Fun With Dick and Jane – 6/24
Bewitched – 7/8
Stealth – 7/29
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalow – 8/12

17 Responses to “Sony Summer Dates”

1. teambanzai says:

Is the Lords of Dogtown really necessary after the excellent documentary from last year?
    Fun with Dick and Jane, again necessary? I’m not a big Jim Carrey fan, however on the upside Judd Apatow. Hmmmm.
    Bewitched, could Will Ferrell be due for a dud? I’m not sure if I want to see this one.
    Stealth, I haven’t seen Jerry Bruckheimer’s name anywhere near this and I do like action movies plus W.D. Richter and Rob Cohen I might have to give this one a look.
    Deuce Bigalow, um well the first one was funny.

2. JimmyConway75 says:

Between the Hot Button rundown of summer releases and the Hot Blog updates with additional info…all I can say is…I can’t wait to hear what the indies and the dependents are offering. With the *possible* exception of the redundant Dogtown, that Sony slate looks fairly atrocious.

3. Mark says:

I’ll give Dogtown a try because the docu was pretty damn good.

4. Josh Massey says:

I think Will Ferrell already had his dud – “Anchorman.” Not only was it not that funny, but while I’m sure it made a profit, it should have done far more box office than it did.

5. bicycle bob says:

since when is a comedy that cost 26 million to make and grossed over a 100 mill worldwide and will probably double that on video, considered a dud?
    get ur head out of ur arse

6. Stella's Boy says:

bicycle bob, did Anchorman really cost only $26 million to make? I remember reading that the budget was around $50 million or so. And I do think its domestic box office was disappointing. No one really expected Dodgeball to make more money here. But, I agree, it certainly wasn’t a dud.

7. bicycle bob says:

don’t have the exact figures (maybe david can help) but i did read and saw the production logs and it said 26 million for anchorman. which would mean a solid hit. especially with the dvd sales coming up.

8. Martin says:

Anchorman looked like a disappointment in comparison to Dodgeball, but the movie still did something like $85 million. I really doubt that when Dreamworks signed on they expected to do even that much. Plus a ton more on DVD. Anchorman is the sort of movie that comes just BEFORE a dud. I never saw it, but it did a solid $85 mill on Ferrell’s name alone. Word of mouth was not so great, which down the line hurts his next film.

9. Mark says:

What word of mouth? All I hear is how great it was. Its not made for people over 50. Come on now. Even Pep’s Mom liked it.

10. PeppersDad says:

At least my mom didn’t drop me on my head like yours did to you. Intentionally. 75 times.

11. Joe Leydon says:

Hmmm. Not much Christmas spirit in THIS area.

12. Blue Stealer says:

Pepper, you are the most bitter person to post on this site. On every subject. No every person. Maybe you need to wake up on the right side of the bed or get laid. Would that help your disposition?

13. PeppersDad says:

Really sorry about my part in it. It’s just that when I checked in earlier, I saw that Mark woke up this cheery morning and, in the spirit of the holidays, took it upon himself to goad me all over this website.

14. PeppersDad says:

Blue Stealer –
    Thanks for your generous advice but, really, I’m not feeling bitter at all. Maybe just a little tired because, in fact, I did get laid last night. Four times. And she was soooooo good! Please thank your mother for me.

15. Joe Leydon says:

Pepper: Lay off the mother remarks. You’re better than that.

16. PeppersDad says:

You’re right, Joe, and much appreciated. I promise: No more mother retorts.

17. Mark says:

Don’t worry about Pepper. Its her time of the month.

~ Hideo Kojima

“They’re still talking about the ‘cathedral of cinema,’ the ‘communal experience,’ blah blah. The experiences I’ve had recently in the theatre have not been good. There’s commercials, noise, cellphones. I was watching Colette at the Varsity, and halfway through red flashes came up at the bottom of the frame. A woman came out and said, ‘We’re going to have to reboot, so take fifteen minutes and come back.’ Then they rebooted it from the beginning, and she had to ask the audience to tell her how far to go. You tell me, is that a great experience? I generally don’t watch movies in a cinema at all. Netflix is the future. It’s the present. But the whole paradigm of a series, binge-watching, it’s quite different. My first reaction is that it’s more novelistic, because if you have an eight-hour season, you can get into complex, intricate things. You can let it breathe and the audience expectations are such that they will let you, where before they wouldn’t have the patience. I think only the surface has been touched with experimenting with that.”
~ David Cronenberg