Can't We All Just Get It On?

Have you noticed the bizarre trend of the moment where everyone has to decide what movies and movie characters are gay, not gay and any variation in between?

Perhaps it is just coincidence.  I’m writing this just as I posted four stories on MCN, all of which speak to the same issue… was Alexander gay, was Shark Tale queer, why movies are showing so much schlong these days and of course, Spongebob.  Of course, without all these movies, there would probably be stories.

Perhaps it is the focus on gay marriage in the last election and the odd crackdown on sexuality in media controlled by the FCC.

Perhaps Tom Brokaw’s first book in his new retirement will be "The Gayest Generation."

Or perhaps we can just start letting what happens in the bedroom of all people be private.  Unless you want to start discussing where you like appendages coming and going in your life.

But what really gets me is The Sponge.  Seems to me that Spongebob Squarepants is the first truly gay cartoon. Sponge is a young, giddy gay man, every pore looking for action, all sublimated into his crabby patty obsession.  (Is that an not-so-oblique reference to the female anatomy?)  Patrick Starfish is just an old queen.  Squidward is clearly Paul Lynde, reanimated.  And what exactly is Plankton trying to hide?

Or perhaps, it’s just a funny cartoon with a lot of silly characters… hmm…

9 Responses to “Can't We All Just Get It On?”

1. anonymous says:

Spongebob and his friends are just goofy cartoon characters, please do not read any further into it

2. Stella's Boy says:

Some regulars around here believe the government has a right to decide what people can and can’t do in private. And who can and can’t get married. Pathetic.

3. Oppenheimer says:

Great title to your blog post, Dave! The recent attention and increased interest on who is and who isn’t gay (and which characters and movies) is simply the age old game we’ve all been playing for years going public and out in the open. Has there really ever been a time when people weren’t wondering about it and asking those questions? I sure don’t think so. It’s just that no one talked about it except in private and with hushed tones. Perhaps the new open tone of the conversation is a sign that we’re all getting more comfortable with the idea.

4. Stella's Boy says:

Reminds me of Kinsey, which I finally saw last night. Outstanding movie. Makes me think of the scene were he’s interviewing the gay man who was branded. Kinsey tells the man that someday people’s attitudes towards homosexuals will change. Obviously the man does not believe him. How sad that he wasn’t wrong.

5. Baldissexy says:

All this obsession is obfuscating the bigger issue: that gender isn’t as black and white as we’d like to think. It’s probably more like a vast spectrum, and we’ll have to learn to stop forcing people into simple categories.
    Even Lennie the shark isn’t necessarily “gay,” he just doesn’t fit into the traditional paradigms of macho sharkdom, just as there are men who might not like sports or drink cosmopolitans instead of bud lights and still be straight.

6. alklai says:

The reason SBSP has a high voice and is somewhat flighty and obsessive isn’t because he’s gay — it’s because he is a small child in adult drag.

7. Mark says:

They can’t marry. But at least they can grow old together as queens.

8. TheLifeAndDeathBrigade says:

Oh, like how most regular straight folks morph into one another, and the guy gets girly, and the woman gets butch? Queen or reversal of genders. The gay folks win. HA HA.

9. Thrilling to think that “cutting edge” gayness is now the province of cartoon sharks and anthromorphized household sponges.
    Same-sexuality is not some obscure “lifestyle” shrouded in mystery requiring a master’s degree in symbolism to divine.
    It’s right there in front of you. Where it’s always been.
    You just didn’t want to notice. Or at least you pretended you didn’t.

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier