Box Office Sunday

Well, Alexander turned out to be far uglier than the first few days of the weekend suggested.  Word of mouth travels fast.  An estimated $21.7 million five-day suggests strongly that this film is going to have a very hard time getting to $50 million domestic.

I mean, we’re looking at The Siege, Men of Honor and The 6th Day as the precursors of this ugliness, though Alexander cost more than twice what any of those films cost.  Scrooged, which got to $60 million, is the upside of this equation… but that film had the advantage of a Christmas theme that brought an upturn on Christmas week.  I don’t expect Alexander to be on more than 800 screens by Christmas week.

On the flip side, The Polar Express is holding better than expected.  The film got very tough review from a lot of critics, but the film was the only film not going wide this weekend that actually had an uptick in viewing.  I still say, see it in IMAX 3-D… but someone out there is really liking this movie and talking about it.  And this weekend’s success will encourage exhibitors to have the film on a large number of screens on Christmas week, even if they start going to matinee-only plays for the next couple of weeks as they await the next wave.

As usual, expectations determine how one sees the success or weakness of the box office results for limited release movies.  MCN’s Len Klady sees the results for Finding Neverland, Sideways, and Kinsey to be “solid.”  I see them as a bit underwhelming.

Kinsey’s position is very reminiscent of the distribution of The Motorcycle Diaries, a film that has now stalled at around $14 million.  Of course, that number is great for a film like Swimming Pool… but not for a hard charging Oscar wannabe.

Miramax has done an excellent job of parlaying an early entry into the season and the power of Johnny Depp to move Finding Neverland along.   They’ve gotten some separation from Sideways, which is doing okay, but feels like it is a long way – perhaps an Oscar nod will be required – from a $20 million total.  Finding Neverland feels like it could go to 2000 screens next week and do $10 million.  Remember, Johnny Depp + Secret Window = $48 million domestic.

The film that Finding Neverland probably will most emulate fiscally is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which hit $35 million in its run last March.  For Neverland, that should be enough to make a legitimate Oscar run.  There are two huge differences between the Neverland and Eternal Sunshine as far as the awards race goes.  First is timing.  It is very difficult to rev things back up for a March title in December.  Second is that eternal Sunshine is hip and smart and young (just try to get an Academy member to recall the title accurately) while Finding Neverland is an old fashioned weepie.  Which do you think Oscar voters prefer?

13 Responses to “Box Office Sunday”

1. Stella's Boy says:

No doubt Alexander is a box office failure, but how much did Warner Bros. actually put into it, and how much was funded by Intermedia? I don’t understand the thrashing it has received at all. It’s a mess, but an enjoyable one. Overall, I liked it. I’ll take it any day of the week compared to the latest shitfest from Brett Ratner or Joe Roth or Jon Turtletaub. Yet critics and viewers make excuses for those movies while relishing the chance to tear into Alexander. Makes no sense to me.

2. Sam says:

Entertainment Weekly reported that Stone got most of his financing from a German investor who rounded up foreign money. WB invested about $20 million, plus the marketing.

3. Blake Falls says:

This sunday I catched the poster for FINDING NEVERLAND here in germany and was stunned how the german distrubitor is trying to totaly fuck this baby off over here. They gave it the german title WENN TRÄUME FLIEGEN LERNEN, which is WHEN DREAMS LEARN TO FLY in english.
    Seems like they doing theire best to produce another HEAD IN THE CLOUDS over here. What a shame.

4. bicycle bob says:

gay movies? don’t work.

5. Chucky in Jersey says:

Most Regal/UA theaters (and a few indies) posted their Thanksgiving-weekend bookings on 11/19. In the New York area, at least 2 Regal/UA theaters and 1 indie were to have picked up “Finding Neverland” on 11/24. Then Miramax decided on 11/22 that those theaters would not get the film. Wonderful!
    “Kinsey” and “Sideways” are the kind of movies Miramax would have released 10 years ago. At least those 2 films are earning their way. Fox doesn’t screw theaters around the way Miramax does.

6. Harvey Milk says:

I went to see it down here in Dallas and the sign behind the counter said “Faggy Pirate Movie”. I bought the ticket, turned out to be Spongebob Squarepants. Good flick tho.

7. Mark says:

Miramax is only about the movies they think can net Oscars. And really crappy comedies.

8. bicycle bob says:

lets thank them for giving us ben affleck and gweneth paltrow. thanks miramax

9. Barry says:

Hey Bob Avary lost his keys up your mom’s ass can you help him find them?

10. bicycle bob says:

hey barry, u just reliving those nightmares of when ur daddy would come into ur room late at night?
    it won’t hurt, barry, it won’t

11. Mark says:

Hey Bobby, Barry seems to want your ass too.

12. bicycle bob says:

we got another closet case here. come out to us barry

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier